Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Ax Suited Preflop

I have one question that continually confuses me. In early position, I sometimes decide to raise w/ Ace anything unsuited (including times that other card is a 4, 6, etc) to knock attempt to knockout opponents on draws and/or A J, for example. However, flushes can bring some big pots if the pot remains multiway. If I am in early position with, for example, A4 suited, would a raise be a bad play considering that may decrease the size of a pot won on a hit flush?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Ax Suited Preflop

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes decide to raise w/ Ace anything unsuited (including times that other card is a 4, 6, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, you're gonna have to stop that immediately. fold ace/rage unsuited in EP

[ QUOTE ]
If I am in early position with, for example, A4 suited, would a raise be a bad play considering that may decrease the size of a pot won on a hit flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming a loose/passive table, ur gonna want to limp with Ax suited and if in LP with a lot of limpers, u can raise for a pot sweetener
Old 06-12-2005, 12:32 AM

if this is a full table, then i must laugh. for 6max maybe 4-5 handed i can see raising with Ax, but please tell me your not talking about a full table game, and even if you are, then lie to me because you have been playing horrbily
Old 06-12-2005, 09:29 AM

Have you read SSHE yet? If not do so. That will explain why you should never play Ax unsuited from ANY position except the BB, let alone raise with it.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Yes, I have to agree with Monix!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:04 AM

Well my game is usually 6 max, and I often have raising work out, but I can understand your points. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to learn to be better, not to be laughed at.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM

OK in regards to the person who said NEVER play A x Suited except in the big blinds, WOW, you are losing out on some big pots if you don't play this hand.

To the original poster, I play Ax Suited every time i can unless someone makes it VERY expensive to go. Then ill fold. I play this VERY aggressively, I probably WOULDN'T raise in early position though, due to the fact that you may scare out those people with 2 lower suited connectors etc. IF and WHEN you hit your flush those people can often pay out ALOT because they won't think you have the nut flush. It's paid me out many times doing this.

Although if its a tight table i often will raise this hand in early position to get the ace , 10s and ace lower cards out of the pot. This gives u ur FIRST chance to win the pot right here. Then ill bet out on the flop no matter what comes just incase everone else misses their hands and they fold. If they call, and i DO hit my flush draw ill raise and reraise the turn and if still not flush on the river ill STILL bet out incase the other person was drawing to a hand as well (mind u this all depends on the community cards) If my flush draw DOESNT hit on the flop ill bet out as well just incase everyone is scared of me from my preflop raise and folds. If they call my bet after the flop ill just check to them on the river

Sometimes ull even win when ur ace hits.

If your in late position with this hand id suggest raising it (especially if alot of people are in the pot to that point)

Makes for big payouts when u do hit ur hand.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Unsuited, einstein, people have been saying don't play a-rag unsuited outside the blinds (or steal opportunities).

You just repeated most of what "he" said with much worse spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Please learn to read previous posts and write fairly correct English.

You don't have to be a grammar-nazi (we have a couple already) but please try not to sound like you're a 12 year old 133+ poka XpErt.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:27 PM

dont raise in EP with a4o, a5o it will hurt you. With suited ones in a loose passive game, you can occasionally limp those bad boys in.

-sinful
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM

well put poker-penguin. well put.