Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Volume I Corrections

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not very knowledgeable about books and/or publishing so I don't know how many typos or erros are 'typical'. But this seems like an awful lot to me and I think 2+2 should take steps to correct such situations from happening again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine how many there would be if they didn't have a master editor doing the proofreading!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 PM

Thanks very much for this Mason, as an owner of HOH Vol 1, I really appreciate it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Some Comments

I have some things I want to say on this topic (errors in books). I am speaking for myself as an author, not Mason.

1. I sincerely thank everyone who takes the time to point out errors in the books. Obviously we want to release books with zero errors, but that isn't going to happen. Readers who spot and call out errors help us improve our products.

2. Having said that, there are fundamentally two ways to point out errors. The first way is helpful: Cite the page number, quote the specific wording, verbatim, that is in error, and explain why it is in error. This goes for typos, grammatical errors, or errors in content or conceptualization.

The second way is unhelpful: Penning a vague diatribe about the problem. In other words, "On p. 95, the word 'potatoe' should be spelled 'potato'," is helpful. "You idiots can't spell anything right," is not.

Furthermore, not only is the first way more helpful, but it is also more compelling as an argument. Say you think SSH is riddled with conceptual errors and isn't worth the paper it's printed on. If you cite specific examples that are wrong and explain why they are wrong, you might convince some people. If you just say, "SSH is a piece of garbage," you won't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

So whether you like 2+2 or hate it, your interests are best served if you are SPECIFIC about any errors you find.

3. Please understand that business conditions are different now than they ever have been before. More books are coming out, and the faster they come out, the more money they will make. I bet Mason never got calls from angry book buyers before about "When is the damn book coming out already?" But now he's getting them.

As a result, the process for getting a book to market is changing, and 2+2 is adapting to that. I'm taking on a more central role for future books, and that means more eyes on the manuscript and more attention to detail. While SSH and GSIH weren't error-free on release, I took pride and care to ensure that they were fairly clean. I will take that same care on any manuscript I work on.

In other words, I am taking constructive criticism to heart. I will help make future books as error-free as possible, and I appreciate your efforts to identify errors that do slip through.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:48 PM

If you count the errors, there are probably less than a dozen errors which may create confusion/issues with the text readability.

Most errors are minor (i.e. spelling, grammatical etc..) which do not impact the content.

Given the magnitude of this project, the content itself and all the things that twoplustwo did get right..I would say that the first printing of HOH is still commendable.

We just hold twoplustwo up to a higher standard. The errors in other poker books are far more serious because they have both the grammatical errors and poker concept errors.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:49 PM

Okay, that's the dumbest comment so far. The whole point of this post is that there are an enormous number of errors in this book, yet Mason is constantly praising the job done by all of the 2+2 crew in proofreading their works. They put sooooo many hours into doing this and are soooo diligent. No one would give a rat's ass about this stuff (aside from the really bad errors that lead to misunderstanding of the material) if they didn't act so condescending towards the people who put them out. Saying, "Go study works not produced by 2+2" is childish and just makes people want to find even more errors.

It's obvious that the authors take the criticisms to heart; maybe one day they'll learn to deal with it without acting like a 13 year old.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one would give a rat's ass about this stuff (aside from the really bad errors that lead to misunderstanding of the material) if they didn't act so condescending towards the people who put them out

[/ QUOTE ]

So people need to lighten up. And saying go read other poker works is a valid response. Thats the beauty of free enterprise.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole point of this post is that there are an enormous number of errors in this book

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the whole point of this post was to let us know what corrections are being made to the second printing.

The list of errors really isn't that bad. Have you seen lists of errata for other books? They are similar. (1, 2, 3, etc.)
Old 06-25-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one would give a rat's ass about this stuff (aside from the really bad errors that lead to misunderstanding of the material) if they didn't act so condescending towards the people who put them out

[/ QUOTE ]

So people need to lighten up. And saying go read other poker works is a valid response. Thats the beauty of free enterprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the beauty of having 100+ ass-kissers on your forum to defend you no matter what.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 PM

Whatever man. There is one reason I buy 2+2 books almost exclusively for poker and its because they have the best content. Thus I am willing to put up with some errors. Thats pretty much the whole meaning behind go read other poker literature. Sorry I had to explain it to you.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever man. There is one reason I buy 2+2 books almost exclusively for poker and its because they have the best content. Thus I am willing to put up with some errors. Thats pretty much the whole meaning behind go read other poker literature. Sorry I had to explain it to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the point is that the asshat publishers and authors of this company are so busy patting themselves on the back that they don't have time to acknowledge customer complaints. They figure they can tell them to piss off and all of their groupies on this board will convince the complainer otherwise.