Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2004, 02:19 AM

Default TT overpair: easy push or easy fold?

$100 MTT (still in progress now). I've built up a huge stack after an inactive first hour, thanks to three huge double-ups in the span of five hands (AK flopping top pair and avoiding a flush draw; AA being AA; QQ winning a coin-flip against another AK). But in the couple of orbits since that happened, I haven't done very much with it; the table was too LAGgish, and we weren't close enough yet to the bubble, to allow for a lot of blind stealing.

Then came this hand. I haven't noticed my opponent doing anything out of the ordinary on previous hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

NateThaGreat (t9685)
MP1 (t4064)
MP2 (t6121)
MP3 (t3852)
CO (t8649)
Button (t6318)
SB (t6508)
BB (t7647)
UTG (t4764)

Preflop: NateThaGreat is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">NateThaGreat raises to t700</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1200</font>, NateThaGreat calls t500.

Flop: (t2500) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t2400</font>, <font color="CC3333">NateThaGreat raises to t8485 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t4047 (All-In).

FWIW, my plan was to push my stack in the event that my tens were an overpair to the board.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:39 AM

Default Re: TT overpair: easy push or easy fold?

fold there
Old 06-02-2004, 02:49 AM

Played it fine, good luck, I'll keep an eye on you until these 200 sngs get too crazy.

He just doubled up to 20k with 28 remaining, 13k is average.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:11 AM

Just doubled up with AK vs QQ to 29.6k. GL nate. Btw the TT really depends on the player. However I'd susspect he'd want to comment more chips preflop with AA, KK, or QQ. I think he is calling your all in raise with AKs, JJ, 99 or a baby set which I think he bet the wrong amount on the flop to have that. So it's not the worst time to go all.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold there

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm. I don't mean to be rude xmr, but that's not very helpful if you don't go into why...

Well, to me, the preflop min-reraise means a big PP more often then not. Usually to discourage other players but to try to get the raiser to call. I'll usually assumes this means a big PP unless the player does it often. I agree that you should let this go unless you know this player is super-aggressive (and better yet, you've seen him min re-raise a weaker hand preflop).
Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 AM

Great job in the tourney Nate, I was sweating you after my MTT ended. It's a shame he called your semi-bluff.

As for your TT push, I wouldn't put him on 22, 33, or 88 due to his reraise preflop. He is either on a weak resteal with Axs or he has a monster. With JJ or QQ, I think the villian would have more than min-raised to take the pot there. I'd put him on KK or AA.

What was the result? Knowing party, he had 99 or you spike a 10 to win the pot.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great job in the tourney Nate, I was sweating you after my MTT ended. It's a shame he called your semi-bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. It was nice having some folks in the peanut gallery to relieve the pressure a little bit. Was happy with how things turned out and will probably post several hands later.

[ QUOTE ]
As for your TT push, I wouldn't put him on 22, 33, or 88 due to his reraise preflop. He is either on a weak resteal with Axs or he has a monster. With JJ or QQ, I think the villian would have more than min-raised to take the pot there. I'd put him on KK or AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had QQ and I spiked a T on the river to double up. While his approach on the flop was a little bit risky, I think he played the hand well, since *most* of the time, KK and AA are going to push in preflop, and so he can proceed postflop with a fair degree of confidence if his Queens are overcards to the board.

It's clear that I have a lot of work to do on my postflop play. I'm reasonably effective where the bet/stack ratios are in the SNG range, since I have a fair amount of experience in those, but I almost certainly take too many -EV risks when the stacks are relatively large; mucking the TT hand, for example, would not have impacted my position too significantly ... same goes for the last hand of the night.

OTOH, it seems absolutely clear that the payout structure in the Party MTT's almost mandate a risk-loving approach; I was fortunate tonight that all my coin flips came up heads, but I'm going to take a coin flip almost whenever I can.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 PM

With which hands would you minreraise preflop? What does the minreraise tell you?

After someone makes a solid raise preflop, I expect a minraise to mean KK or AA. It's not necessarily the right way to play AA or KK, but it works well against many people who rereraise with JJ or AK or worse. You can play the TT for set value (you will probably get paid off), or perhaps to bluff a scary flop.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:28 PM

I saw you were doing pretty well when I got knocked out around 50th, where did you finish in the end ?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. It was nice having some folks in the peanut gallery to relieve the pressure a little bit. Was happy with how things turned out and will probably post several hands later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on the finish, I watched from about 12 people down to the end.

And hi all, I've been lurking for a few months and figured I'd finally sign up.