Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Will The Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up?

[ QUOTE ]
I would suspect that you hold David Hume in a higher regard than I do King James.

[/ QUOTE ]I never really understood alot of things that other people seem to get. For instance this whole freewill vs determinism thing. I just don't get it. So much has been writen and so much time has been spent on in. And it seems the answer is really simple. There are some aspects of human nature that are deterministic and some aspects that are freewill. But people insist that there is some sort of contradiction. I don't see it. Genesis pretty much spells out the order in which evolution took place. I never really saw an important contradiction in the bible with evolution, of course the ammount of time it took I did see a contradiction, but people insist that there is a contradiction. Chance and Order, yet people, er NotReady, insists that there is a contradiction.

King James vs David Hume, clearly I don't get it.

But I will say that you probably hold King James higher than I do David Hume. Not that I think the distinction is an important one, or even a useful one.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:59 PM

See, good things happen when you stop masturbating. Now, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but since you are an atheist, have you been habitually engaging in activities deemed as impure by Christians again?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance this whole freewill vs determinism thing. I just don't get it. So much has been writen and so much time has been spent on in. And it seems the answer is really simple. There are some aspects of human nature that are deterministic and some aspects that are freewill. But people insist that there is some sort of contradiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Determinists argue that ALL aspects of human nature are deterministic. I'm a determinist, and to me, that answer seems really simple [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Determinists argue that ALL aspects of human nature are deterministic. I'm a determinist, and to me, that answer seems really simple

[/ QUOTE ] Right and from that free will emerges.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Genesis pretty much spells out the order in which evolution took place. I never really saw an important contradiction in the bible with evolution, of course the ammount of time it took I did see a contradiction, but people insist that there is a contradiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a contradiction. The order listed in the Bible, is not the same that Evolutionary theory claims.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Genesis pretty much spells out the order in which evolution took place. I never really saw an important contradiction in the bible with evolution, of course the ammount of time it took I did see a contradiction, but people insist that there is a contradiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a contradiction. The order listed in the Bible, is not the same that Evolutionary theory claims.

[/ QUOTE ]Just one I think. Not to bad. I like to think of it as a typo, or is there more?