Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Need advice (No sh content)

This is where I usually post when I do (rarely) and need to know some advice. Should I pony up the funds to play in the 10k turning stone tournament? It is a lot of money, but won't cripple me (It is about 40% of my bankroll). I really don't think I would have that great of shot against the pros that are in it, but I also think that if the cards fell right I could make the money or better. I am really having a difficult decision deciding and would like some input. I think it would be such a fun experience. I am so confused.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Need advice (No sh content)

Do they have satellites? Why not just invest $5K max to enter a few of those?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:47 PM

I don't like such investments. You can waste such summs when they fit you bankroll. For e.g. - if 10K was a 1% or 2% of your overall bankroll.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they have satellites? Why not just invest $5K max to enter a few of those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am like 6 hours away.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like such investments. You can waste such summs when they fit you bankroll. For e.g. - if 10K was a 1% or 2% of your overall bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would be much more comfortable with it if it was only 1 or 2% of my bankroll, but even if I was the first person out, I would still have enough money to comfortably play my normal game 10/20 6max.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:00 PM

The fact that you are seeking advice on this leads me to believe you want to make a rational choice (as opposed to a more romantic 'grand gesture'). For 40% of your bankroll, that choice is 'No'.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:06 PM

yea 40% of your roll is a lot. Why don't you enter another tournament where buy-in is 1K or 2K? That way you will still have fun and not put so much of your roll ar risk. A 1K or 2K tourney would still have a nice payout if you won.

blubster
Old 07-08-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you are seeking advice on this leads me to believe you want to make a rational choice (as opposed to a more romantic 'grand gesture'). For 40% of your bankroll, that choice is 'No'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it would be 40% of my bankroll, but I would still have over 600bbs for the limit I am playing. I don't really plan on moving up anytime soon. I am looking for a rational choice, I am definitely leaning on the fence. Although the entry fee is 10,000, I don't think my equity is 0, but I really don't know how much it would be. Therefore it wouldn't really be throwing 10,000 away.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 PM

If the only way you can play is to play the main event and it's money that won't affect your future play if you lose it then go for it.

I haven't seen you play but I have read a lot of your posts and you seem like an intelligent player who knows what's what. I like your chances of going far.

As a matter of fact I would be willing to kick in $50
Old 07-08-2004, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the only way you can play is to play the main event and it's money that won't affect your future play if you lose it then go for it.

I haven't seen you play but I have read a lot of your posts and you seem like an intelligent player who knows what's what. I like your chances of going far.

As a matter of fact I would be willing to kick in $50

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words. With the players that are going to be there, I am not sure that I have a very good chance of making the money. I think I would need to moneymaker it, get hit with a lot of great cards, but also be smart enough to be able to take advantage of that.

I appreciate the offer for $50, but I will have to decline. I definitely would not feel comfortable losing other peoples money. I don't care about losing my money, because that is my choice, but I would feel awful losing somebody elses. LOL, since you were the first person to tell me to go for it and offer to back me (a little bit), should I make the money, look to receive .1%.