Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 40/80 preflop 88

My thought last night was that it was an easy cap, and that's what I did, but I'll acknowledge that it's close between all three options.

The case for capping: DLW's 3-betting range is so broad that I probably have at least fair share equity here whether the pot is 3- or 4-handed, plus the dead money from the blinds and maybe UTG. My cap is damned scary, especially given my table image, and I may get some incorrect folds after the flop from YG. I have the Button. One of my opponents is a major postflop donator. There's a small chance that my cap gets it heads up, especially if YG is not aware how light DLW might raise here. If all else fails, I can flop a set.

The case for folding: 88 can be an awkward hand to play 3- or 4-handed in a large pot after the flop, especially against one opponent whom I don't know very well, and another one who plays unpredictably. It probably isn't advantageous that DLW won't fold unless he misses completely, as he may unwittingly draw correctly to overcards and so forth where another player might fold. There's a small chance that UTG was intending to limp-reraise.

The case for calling: I get to see whether YG caps and whether UTG limp-reraises, which could possibly help me to save a bet after the flop. There is a high likelihood that DLW will bet the flop and a raise there should have some fairly significant folding equity, possibly including getting YG to fold something like TT on say a Q-x-x board. If I am behind a big pair, I prefer more callers to give me overlay for when I flop a set. I get out one bet cheaper if the flop is really ugly.

What would Jesus Ferguson do?
Old 05-25-2005, 05:23 PM

Old 05-25-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who folds this here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who folds this here? Let me go read andy's post and if he says come in, then I have to see what dimension I woke up in today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Priceless!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4-bet to (a) represent a monster and (b) possibly get the drunk HU.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are going to get this heads up approximately 0% of the time.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, that's definitely not true. It's somewhere between 0-4%, but that's still something.

We have the best hand the best position, and we are almost certain to get dead money in the pot. That, my friends, is a winning formula.

(and no, 22 is not the best hand here - 77 is my cutoff for what it's worth)
Old 05-26-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, that's definitely not true. It's somewhere between 0-4%, but that's still something.

We have the best hand the best position, and we are almost certain to get dead money in the pot. That, my friends, is a winning formula.

(and no, 22 is not the best hand here - 77 is my cutoff for what it's worth)

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are gonna argue about exact percentages, I think you probably have the best hand less than 100% of the time.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:25 AM

Nate,

Are you a reguar in this game? Any hints as far as who you are? I donate there frequently.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

Are you a reguar in this game? Any hints as far as who you are? I donate there frequently.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing there once a week or so toward the end of last year but hadn't been in several months until I went on Tuesday night so I doubt that you'd recognize me (FWIW, I'm a quietish/skinnyish/shortish/youngish looking white kid with dark brown hair and a tendancy to handle his chips about as bad as humanly possible). I miss live play and should be making it down there more often, especially if the 40/80 gets running pretty often on weeknights.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:45 AM

Clark, just a question....

For me I think I would fold almost all the time in this spot, because if I'm up against 2 over cards i'm usually a 50/50 to have the best hand by the river and if I'm up against an overpair i'm a little behind.

Can you give a detailed example of hand that you played similar to this where you were faced with a scary board and go through some of your reasoning process.

Although I welcome challenges I think folding in this spot can't be all that bad and I think cold calling is the worst.