Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Folding@Home question. (O/T)

for terry or any other folding/computer expert:

i have noticed from the log file that although my computer has completed some work units and although my computer has tried to send them in to base they have not actually been sent

however, my computer has then gone on to pick up a new unit to work on

i guess the completed ones are in a queue somewhere inside my computer but is there a way to send them manually?

any tips regarding the "configure" choices?

also, and it probably has nothing to do with the folding programme, i have noticed it takes maybe 40 seconds for my computer to load and display some twoplustwo pages (if you look at the bottom line on this page it tells you how long it took - mine says "Generated in 3.587 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 5 queries. Zlib compression disabled", but if i went to, say, the pm pages that 3.587 might become 33.587)

i have xp and an ordinary dial-up modem - anyone else find any slowing down?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Folding@Home question. (O/T)

I found that when I reset my computer, the one work unit that this heap of poo has managed to plough through was sent in on my next reconnect.

Lori
Old 09-28-2003, 12:01 PM

"reset"? what does reset mean?

ye gods - this computer world is a different place with all you experts' jargon-speak

at the risk of giving my computer-knowledge away, the only word i understood in your post was poo - and that's only because i watch david-blaine-in-a-box

(the latest idea for the reason that blaine is looking fatter now than when he went in is that after he discharges his liquid poo through the liquid-poo-tube they shoot a liquid-high-protein-food back up his sorry ass)
Old 09-28-2003, 12:06 PM

Wow, two computer illerates having a discussion, should be fun.

Turn it off and try again!

Is Blaine gonna fail, please tell me he looks at least uncomfortable, i don't need him to fail, just need him to look like failing.

Poo

Lori
Old 09-28-2003, 01:52 PM

reset means turn off and turn on?

so when i go to bed and then get up for a poo i have reset my lights? got it - ty

he looks like a million dollar fatman - not a concern on his brow - although i thought it funny yesterday when he lost his pen and spent five minutes scrabbling round his 7 by 3 floor looking for it

he found it sticking out his - no - i'm exaggerating now - i was thinking of the old joke where the mathematician had constipation so he worked it out with a pencil

Old 09-28-2003, 03:34 PM

Mike, I’ve sent you a PM with some step by step instructions showing how to send in those unfinished work units.

If anyone else is having the same problem -- you know you’ve finished some but they’re not showing up on the Team Page, let me know and I’ll send you the instructions.

[ QUOTE ]
i guess the completed ones are in a queue somewhere inside my computer

[/ QUOTE ]
Using Windows Explorer, look in the “work” folder under your “Folding @ Home” folder in Program Files. If you see things containing the word “results” ( like wuresults_02.dat), those are finished work units that have not yet been sent. Normally, I think the program will try to send them whenever it finishes the current unit, but if you’re not online at the time they may get left behind.

As for the forum pages here taking a while to load, I really don’t “think” it has anything to do with the Folding @ Home program. Have you tried it with and without Folding running? Sometimes the forum just slows down for all of us.

Lorinda, the piece of poo you refer to is your computer, not the program, right? I'd hate to scare people away from this worthwhile project, and the the Zoo team is still growing.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:16 PM

This won't be popular, but you really do need broadband Mike - dial up is like a trip to the dentist. Very painful.

Generated in 0.548 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 6 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

There's my rate for this page.

Simon
Old 09-28-2003, 07:27 PM

Lorinda, the piece of poo you refer to is your computer, not the program, right? I'd hate to scare people away from this worthwhile project, and the the Zoo team is still growing.

Quite correct, and sorry for the potential damage caused.

The program is so good, that even my piece of poo computer can do something with it and still allow me to do all my normal functions.

Certainly it is worthwhile, and I am just sorry that the piece of poo that i use to play poker with cannot be of more help to the cause.

Lori