Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Live 5/5NL Hand - Comments?

Hero SB (~$2500). Somewhat TAGish BB (~$3900) – just sat down maybe an hour ago and has played very few pots; most of which he won without seeing a turn. The remaining stacks average ~$1000 but more or less unimportant to this context of this post.

Seven players limp. Hero (K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) checks. BB checks.

Nine players see a flop of --> T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($45)

Checked around to CO who bets $20. Hero calls. BB calls. Three players.

Turn --> 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($105)

Hero checks. BB bets $75. CO folds.

Hero’s action?

At this point, no warning bells are firing as I put him on AT or less likely T4 or any draw. As far as I can tell, he isn’t the type to fire $75 at a board like that with a draw so I rule that out. I quickly consider the least likely TT (least likely IMO due to pre and post flop actions), 44 maybe, and finally the case 6...

…I’m content to win this right here and raise it up to a flat $300. BB pauses to take a quick breath and very smoothly announces he’s all-in.

Any thoughts? Results to follow...

Also, this is my first “hand posted for analysis” so if this is standard stuff please let me know so I can try and limit how much I bore the forum in the future.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Live 5/5NL Hand - Comments?

It sounds like you don't know this guy that well, and that he might be getting a LOT of respect from the rest of the table.
In which case, I would fold face up, praise him for making the good move if he was bluffing, and reep the benefits of the advertising later on.
I find if they had you beat they will congratulate you and show up as well a lot.
You have too much money compared with the table to call when you could easily be beat. Why give up ammo for later hands against weaker opponents? Maybe look for a seat change too.
Id say thats worth $320. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
WHat did you do?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 AM

I would call. I cant imagine with that many limpers a 10 10 TAGish player wouldnt raise. I guess you could be up against 44, that sounds more likely although for some reason i believe your hand is best there. The only reason i question it is a tight player might check their 44 their and not bet out 20. I might have raised there not much. Definitly on the turn i would have put a bigger raise. I am aggressive and dont like to be put on the defensive. If you bet a little more and he comes over the top i believe it becomes an easier fold. But the fact that he went all in strikes me as if he has KQ and wants you out of the hand. I cant understand that play if he was realyy that strong why make you fold? Thats just my two cents. What happened?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM

I dont think he pushes without being full. He is in the BB and you cant put him on anything except most likely not TT. I think 44 is definately possible and most likely.

Lay it down like mentioned above. He may turn AA-JJ and you would have won, but you need to pick a better spot. You have learned a good bit about your opponent though.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 PM

I think you have to fold to the push. Trips is a great hand, but when you get action, you are often beat. No way you can call the overbet push.

I prefer to flat call on the turn, even with the two-flush appearing.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to flat call on the turn, even with the two-flush appearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn action analysis is what I am most interested in hearing about. I know there are some very wise members on this board and I'm hoping they can teach me something.

Maybe you would be willing to elaborate a bit more about the line you mention above and how it may or may not play out on the river?

Also, maybe someone would provide some thoughts on the bet size? Is this ultimately a -EV play considering the whole concept regarding a bet that size may likely be a "only called when beat bet" and that if I am truly ahead I may be able to extract more money?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 PM

You could have just called the turn bet and see what comes on the river. I would bet about 2/3 the pot on the river or check call. If raised you can fold or call depending on your feeling. There is no way like you said he has 1010. Also I dont think he has 44. A10 maybe something like 7-6. But raising to 300 and him pushing either tells me has has a 6 and is overplaying it or somehow he has made a fullhouse. But why would he raise all in with that, seems to me with your raise he should know where you are at.

I would fold to this push. But I would have just called the turn bet and kept the pot small for the river.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:25 PM

why do you guys think its impossible for him to have TT?

hes in the big blinds with multiple limpers preflop, he could be just playing for set value out of position here.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:19 PM

YOu have WAY too many limpers to check call this flop....You should probably be leading out here every time. Keep betting until you face serious resistanse...You have to fold to a big all-in raise.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOu have WAY too many limpers to check call this flop....You should probably be leading out here every time. Keep betting until you face serious resistanse...You have to fold to a big all-in raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I just don't agree with this line.

With a rainbow flop and the fact that I would like to extract as many chippies as possible using this scary board(instead of scaring everyone away betting out from the small-blind) I think check-raising is better than check-calling here, but leading-out? IMO, no...especially with LP still available for contribution.

But maybe I am missing the point.