Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Really good analysis of Habib/Tuan Le

[ QUOTE ]
The prohibition exists in WPT contracts now, but seems useless. Mason says himself that his suggestion is impossible to achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that this is true. The prize money in WPT events is huge now. The first thing that could be done is flatten out the pay structure. This would give pro's less of a reason to take a piece of each other. I believe there might be other things that might help especially in the area of Taxes and tax payer identification. Although I admit that I am not versed well enough on taxes to be sure something can be done there. Well, maybe Mason is right. It might be impossible to stop but that doesn't mean measures shouldn't be taken to make it more difficult to do.

vince
Old 05-05-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So my wife and I can't enter the same tournament? What about the Brenes brothers? What about guys who are childhood friends?

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said there should be a rule against relatives or childhood friends playing in the same tournament. (It's only a problem if they're playing from the same bankroll.)
Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said there should be a rule against relatives or childhood friends playing in the same tournament. If they're playing from the same bankroll it is a problem however.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think you can make the distinction. It's impossible to prove I didn't give you the stake in the parking lot whether we're best friends or we're complete strangers. And it really isn't wrong either, IMO. What difference does it make where the money came from. What if my wife and I both separately won freeroll satellites? All that matters is that we don't collude.

This becomes particularly apparent in the case of "friends". Maybe we have totally separate bankrolls, but obviously I'd rather see my friend win than some stranger. So even though we aren't staked together in any way, it's really softplay that is illegal, not how we paid our entrance fee.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 PM

Where the entrance fee comes from is not the relevant point. It's whether there is an agreement for you to pay a certain fraction of your prize money to someone else playing in the tournament.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:46 PM

This may be good reading for those who haven't seen it before.

Here's a better link to the Paul Phillips blog.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:00 PM

Is it just me or did Hasan give a little bit too many awkward male hugs to Tuan Lee?? and Hasan going all in with q6 that looked like such an obvious chip dump to Tuan. And then at the end of the show we have Hasan hugin Tuan like if Tuan was his brother or something.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="#666666"> That would just make a great TV show!!!</font>

Mike Sexton: Welcome to this weeks WPT. We have an exciting final table today.

Vince Van Patten: Shuffle up and deal!!

Mike: Wait, Vince! The players are talking. They made a deal to chop it 6 ways.

Vince: May all your wired pairs of AA in the hole be live.

Mike: See ya next week!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-29-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me or did Hasan give a little bit too many awkward male hugs to Tuan Lee?? and Hasan going all in with q6 that looked like such an obvious chip dump to Tuan. And then at the end of the show we have Hasan hugin Tuan like if Tuan was his brother or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Q6 play was actually a move I would pull in that same situation as well. Tuan is in the BB with about two million left and Hasan is in the SB with the dominating chip lead. Hasan's all-in forces Tuan to pick up a good hand or give up his blind. Hasan got unlucky and ran into two ten's. I didn't find that hand as suspicious as a few others though.