Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Why aren\'t you better?

I don't think there is a difference between a very good 109er or a good 215er. I would say the difference between a great player and a good player is probably consistance. In my own play, sometimes I'm dead on, and other times I make plays so stupid it leaves me stunned (most likely on days i forgot to take my meds). I think the long term highest performers don't have meny "off" days.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:15 PM

Not to take anyone's place, but I don't think that was what citunal was saying. If that _was_ what he was saying, then pretend my post starts.... HERE: Seat selection is, at it's heart, just regular poker skill. It can be reduced to a formula(sit left of X, right of Y, etc.) and explained in under a paragraph.

There are times to pass up +$EV pushes if you believe that other players will make greater +$EV actions after you(by pushing into each other). If there is a smaller stack acting after you who you believe will push and you also believe that push will get called, it would become correct to pass up significantly +$EV pushes. This requires some idea of how 2 3rd parties regard each other.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM

you seem to understand what my point was, yes.

it boils down to something htat many "ok" sng players don't understand at all, which is that often in poker there are lots of other things to consider besides just your decisions and what is thing you can do with your cards that is best. man, i worded that badly, but you know what i mean.

c
Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 PM

As for Bones 2nd question, I am still pounding away at the 22s because after 1200 I am only beating them at 12% ROI. At this rate I am barely making more per hour at the 22s then I did at the 11s. I feel like I need to improve.

As for why I am not better, there are numerous answers, I m losing chips overall with small to medium pairs, and I am working on adjusting how I play them. I watch tv, and surf the web while I 4 table. I lose money from the SB and BB and am struggling with how to play them better. I really need to study ICM and play around and study SNGPT to really hone in my pushbotting.

As for Raptor saying anyone can play perfect SNG poker, it is impossible for a human being to pull off. This includes Phil Ivey or whatever "poker god" you want to select. I guarantee even Raptor will either misclick, time out or make a poor decision in the next 200 SNG's he plays, let alone playing them perfect over the next billion he plays.

Peace,

KennyBanya
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The player who makes the fewest mistakes while playing the most boldly wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for Raptor saying anyone can play perfect SNG poker, it is impossible for a human being to pull off. This includes Phil Ivey or whatever "poker god" you want to select. I guarantee even Raptor will either misclick, time out or make a poor decision in the next 200 SNG's he plays, let alone playing them perfect over the next billion he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not impossible to make ONLY +EV pushes on the bubble. over my next 200, i guarantee i wont make any -ev pushes. i didnt mean it in a way that oh you have to never make a mistake never lose a pot kinda way, never run KK into AA, never lose ah nad, and win every tournament. yer right. thats impossible. its however, not impossible, to think for 2 seconds before clicking so you dont misclick, and to understand bubble concepts so well that you dont make mistakes. holla
Old 11-29-2005, 10:03 PM

its not impossible to make ONLY +EV pushes on the bubble. over my next 200, i guarantee i wont make any -ev pushes. i didnt mean it in a way that oh you have to never make a mistake never lose a pot kinda way, never run KK into AA, never lose ah nad, and win every tournament. yer right. thats impossible. its however, not impossible, to think for 2 seconds before clicking so you dont misclick, and to understand bubble concepts so well that you dont make mistakes. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mean it a never losing a pot kind of way either. I consider pushing KK with 5 BBs left from the button playing perfect poker even if you run into AA.

Wouldnt you have to have almost exact calling ranges for multiple opponents to never make a -ev push? To me, that seems impossible in a game of incomplete information.

Even during bubble play, you have 1 to 3 opponents to figure out. We often are facing opponents for the first time in a given tournament as well.

"Perfect" is such an absolute term. Absolutes are rare in making poker decisions, even for SNG bubble play.

I have no doubt you play well and far better than I do. I have even less doubt you dont play perfect.

Peace,

KennyBanya
Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People in this thread are overrating the learned part of poker IMO. Poker success is a combination of study and natural talent. My weakness, as is many people's, is that I'm not an extreemly gifted poker player. No amount of study would make me the absolute best player at this game, I just wasn't born with it. This is true of many good players, but few are capable of realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you read super system? Doyle considered himself a slightly above average player before a cancer scare, but afterwards he was suddenly a world class player. The brush with death triggered his abilities. He didn't come out of the womb a great player.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't you read super system? Doyle considered himself a slightly above average player before a cancer scare, but afterwards he was suddenly a world class player. The brush with death triggered his abilities. He didn't come out of the womb a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this sense, it's the same thing. The "greatness" was triggered by something that wasn't a conscious learning process.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Focus
Discipline
Empathy

Not necessarily in that order.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not really sure what these mean, unfortunately.

>>>ZIPPPY