Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Folding KK preflop

What do you guys think about folding KK preflop. Everything I've read says not to do it. Yet when listening to this advice in a cash game I same to screw myself. Is it reasonable to fold KK if I re-raise & get re-re-raised all in? Even against semi-loose players I seem to usually lose here.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Folding KK preflop

I would always call. The only exception would be if I see that my opponent has less than 2% preflopraise.
But even then he might probably have QQ.
When you get dealt kings, just one in 24 times your opponent get dealt aces and even then you win 18% of the time.
When you aren't 100% sure that your opponent has aces, call.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 PM

I always thought it was 1 in 44 that someone has aces.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Depends how many other people are at the table. At a 10-person table, I believe it is 1:21.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think about folding KK preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against certain opponents, a 3-bet pre-flop can only mean AA/KK. PT is very important here.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 PM

calling all in preflop with KK just isn't a default play for me. i want evidence that villain's frequency for donkey plays preflop is high enough to justify the call. in general i can find better +ev spots on later streets against most of the opponents i face.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Although someone is dealt aces only 1:21 times at 10 man table, the chances he has aces (in bettors eyes) have to go up based on betting patterns. Just pre flop-- i get KK, and yeah there is like 1:21 chance someone has aces. But as soon as someone raises, re-raises, and happens to be tight passive rock, the chances have to get better.

when i walk in to a club... there is a 1 in 5 chance a girl has a minor venerial disease. but if she starts scratching violently, and has sores on her mouth...chances go up right?

(god that is a raw metaphor...did i just type that, or think it?)

it was a tough hand regardless...and incidentally, my girlfriend and I are both clean-- checked earlier this year.

sly
Old 10-17-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

when i walk in to a club... there is a 1 in 5 chance a girl has a minor venerial disease. but if she starts scratching violently, and has sores on her mouth...chances go up right?

(god that is a raw metaphor...did i just type that, or think it?)

it was a tough hand regardless...and incidentally, my girlfriend and I are both clean-- checked earlier this year.

sly

[/ QUOTE ]

Post that in OOT. I am sure they can help you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the chances he has aces (in bettors eyes) have to go up based on betting patterns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly.

[ QUOTE ]
my girlfriend and I are both clean-- checked earlier this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad is the Q-tip up the urethra..
Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling all in preflop with KK just isn't a default play for me. i want evidence that villain's frequency for donkey plays preflop is high enough to justify the call. in general i can find better +ev spots on later streets against most of the opponents i face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this generic reply to a generic situation. Of course it depends. What are stack sizes, what are positions? How much was the first raise, how much did you re-raise? Generally you need some information to indicate the percentage of times this is Aces. AA v. KK is approx. 81.3%-18.7% (depending on suits), so the same would hold true of your KK v. QQ. If he's got AA half the time you're probably better off finding a better place to get all your money in.