Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Default $109: Villian Turn Lead

PP $109, Blinds 10/15

Seat 1: (1075)
Seat 2: (1000)
Seat 3: (970)
HERO 4: (990)
Seat 5: (1215)
SB 6: (940)
BB 7: (985)
VILLIAN 8: (855)
Seat 9: (970)
Seat 10: (1000)

Hero: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop:
Villian calls 15; 5 folds; Hero calls 15, SB completes; BB checks

Four to the flop:
4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets 15, Villian raises to 70, Hero reraises to 175
SB folds, Villian calls 105

Two to turn:
K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian bets 200 into pot of 425.

<font color="blue"> Not interested pre-flop (most times I raise, sometimes I call).

Did not see how Villian dropped to starting stack of 855. Villian is not a $109 regular. Hero?? </font>
Old 09-16-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Villian Turn Lead

Please put the buyin in the subject heading.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:20 PM

I'd get out. Very unorthodox play. PF limp, flop raise then a stop and go to a flop reraise. I can't see myself playing anything like this so it's hard to put him on something. Whatever it is, he has to know that your re-raise signified a made hand and he doesn't seem to care. Without a read, I wait for a more certain spot and a later level.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Just reading through this hand, my instincts tell me that his 200 bet wants action, and that JT and KQ are likely holdings. I probably fold here and keep the damage to a minimum.

200 is too big to try to call for value and slow him down on the river. The pot would then have 825 in it and both of you would have less than the pot left. So his 200 bet on the turn really threatens all of your chips. If you call and he pushes the river, calling him down without even having top pair is dubious at best. In the absence of any other reads here, I thin you have to fold.

--Z
Old 09-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: $109: Villian Turn Lead

He's strong, but not Lou Ferigno strong. I push here. If he had a set or 2 pair, he will usually check the turn.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
200 is too big to try to call for value and slow him down on the river. The pot would then have 825 in it and both of you would have less than the pot left. So his 200 bet on the turn really threatens all of your chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought KQ or QJ from the flop action. My thought process on the turn was exactly as you state above. When I thought about the hand more I was frustrated that a 200 chip bet would put me to a decision for my stack. I was also confused as I figured a KQ would try for a turn CR (maybe the 2 flush board made him lead)...
Old 09-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Alright; usually I am raising preflop here *specifically* because the limper was UTG. If he's lrring AA here I want to know now rather than after I've invested 20% of my stack or more.

That said, once we get to the turn I think I'm folding. AK and KQ just passed us, and if he can bluff that turn with JJ he deserves my chips. I'm expecting him to have AxA[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] though.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's strong, but not Lou Ferigno strong. I push here. If he had a set or 2 pair, he will usually check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is getting ugly, would he check with 2 pair and risk a check behind (which is what he would have gotten)?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright; usually I am raising preflop here *specifically* because the limper was UTG. If he's lrring AA here I want to know now rather than after I've invested 20% of my stack or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I raise preflop I likely get HU with the Villian since I am CO position. If he is the type to limp/trap AA here wouldn't he call preflop when HU with a raiser? Then I don't know nuthin.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 PM

I think you know plenty if he calls and gets you heads up.

Raise PF enough to drive out the standard early position limping hands including KQ, which I suspect. If he calls, which is just as telling as him reraising, he probably has better starting than AQ.