Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 05:47 PM

Default AA hand... fps?

stats on big blind were 40/12/2 over 45 hands. the only reason i raised the river is because i just saw him call down a UI AQ to the river that he coulnd't beat.

edited to add i just lost a huge pot against a river straight with AA when i flopped top set in my first shot at 5/10 so i'm playing a little timid.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>
Old 11-18-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: AA hand... fps?

i'd really like to 3-bet this flop to see if BB means business.

edited to add: really because there's value in it. but additionally, this seems like a good point to find out how much buddy digs his hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 PM

If you're not gonna see if he caps the flop, at least raise the turn. Make sure you stay consistent in your thinking. If he's bad enough that you want to raise the river, get a lot more money in on the flop and turn before the 4th spade comes or he makes trip 9's.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd really like to 3-bet this flop to see if BB means business.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any intention of folding if the BB does in fact "mean business"? It's only 45 hands but there's no way I lay down AA in a big pot vs someone with the stats of a boarderline maniac.

I think he's overplaying TP or semi bluffing with a big spade. Either way he isn't folding. And he's not putting in more than 2BBs on the turn and river when he's on spades. IMO, waiting 'til the river to pop him is a great play because:
-you can keep the number at 2BBs when the river is a spade.
-you still get 2BBs out of a busted spade draw (based on his stats I think he continues his bluff through the river a lot).
-you get 3BBs out of a worse made hand, as you would if you popped him on the turn.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:21 PM

I kinda like your flop play but i would have done it with the intention of raising a non spade turn.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 PM

This seems okay, as long as the raise goes in somewhere. The only issue is that if he's aggressing nothing but a flush draw, he may just c/f the river. I think he stabs the river with a missed draw often enough that I like this play. It's most likely he has a J based on his flop c/r.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda like your flop play but i would have done it with the intention of raising a non spade turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. A missed flush draw likely won't call your river raise but he'll call a turn raise.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:27 PM

(a) getting capped does not mean i'm definitely behind

(b) i'll be fine calling down if i'm raised again

(c) if a 4th spade drops on the river and its checked ot me i'm going to bet it

(d) if a 4th spade comes on the turn i will fold to a bet (or the river)

(e) if you pop on the turn and are 3-bet you should probably fold. if you just called the flop it's possible an aggressive opponent will semi-bluff 3-bet you here, particularly if they have a J+flush draw.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:27 PM

Just 3bet the flop. That way if he caps you can just call down . If you pop a bigstreet and it 3bets it blows. On the tunr I don't think you can be certain you're behind a player like this. On the river you're behind way to often to call and you just cost yourself an extra big bet to not get to showdown.