Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Tell me about Ed Miller\'s fiance

I guess I have to clarify a few things:

The cats are NOT vegetarians.
The fish is on a diet because the fish guy who moved him from my old place to our new common domicile told me the fish was too fat and I'd better feed him less.
Ed is not a midget.
I am not a sweetheart.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed is not a midget.

[/ QUOTE ]

lies [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fish is on a diet because the fish guy who moved him from my old place to our new common domicile told me the fish was too fat and I'd better feed him less.

[/ QUOTE ]

never trust guys who move fish for a living. If someone says "Hi my name is Bob, I'm a fish mover" run away
TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard they have this caaat...

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a sweetheart.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you were just on your best behavior that night. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's also a really good chef. We are vegetarians and Ed cooks some mean vegetarian red beans and rice as well as many Indian dishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Ed is from Louisiana.....oh man, a veg red beans and rice made by someone who actually knows how it should taste.

Any chance he would share the recipe.....or is this one of those "improvise as you go" dishes?

Sorry for the hijack guys.....just really like red beans and rice, Louisiana style.

And BTW....congrats and best wishes to both of you!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's also a really good chef. We are vegetarians and Ed cooks some mean vegetarian red beans and rice as well as many Indian dishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Ed is from Louisiana.....oh man, a veg red beans and rice made by someone who actually knows how it should taste.

Any chance he would share the recipe.....or is this one of those "improvise as you go" dishes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I make it the "standard" way, except I substitute a couple of teaspoons of hickory smoke flavor for the ham bone. It comes in a little bottle... basically it's the smoke from burning hickory captured and put in suspension. While it doesn't taste like ham, it does replace that ham flavor with something else pleasing, so nothing seems "missing."

For the sausage I substitute Boca Italian Sausages.

So, from the beginning:

1. Get a pound of small red beans (not the big kidney beans). Soak them overnight.

2. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a stock pot. Add 2 tsps. of hickory smoke flavor and 1 tsp. salt.

3. Put the beans in the water and let simmer for 45 minutes on low/medium heat uncovered.

4. During that time, take Boca sausages, cut them into little chunks, and brown them in canola or olive oil.

5. At the end of the 45 minute simmer, take about one cup of beans out of the pot and mash them with a fork. Then put them back in. That helps to thicken the sauce.

6. Put the sausage in the pot, reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally with a spoon.

7. Finely chop:
1 large yellow onion
1 large bell pepper
1 bunch of green onions
8 stalks of celery
6 cloves of garlic

Measure out:
3 tsps. Cajun seasoning (you can buy premade in most groceries... it's cayenne, oregano, paprika, some other stuff too... or obviously you can just mix the spices yourself) Zatarain's or Tony Chacherie's or something like that is probably fine too, though I haven't tried it.
1-2 tsps. Cayenne
1 tsp. Gumbo file
1 tsp. Thyme
2 Bay leaves

Add spices to chopped veggies and saute in canola or olive oil until the onion is kinda transparent. Then pour the whole mixture into the stock pot.

8. Simmer on very low heat, covered, for several hours. The longer the better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Look at the pot every half hour or so and make sure there's still enough water to cover everything. If there isn't, you can add a cup.

9. About five minutes before you are ready to serve, fish out the bay leaves and add some fresh parsley (or dry flaked parsley if you are lazy like me) and Tabasco sauce to taste. Red beans isn't supposed to be fiery spicy... just supposed to have enough kick that you can taste it. That said, I like things on the spicy side, and I could hardly call a nice pot of red beans ruined for being too spicy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Serve over rice.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes we have a cat. We have three actually. And a fish who is currently on a diet.

We did not meet in a strip club. We met at Border's Books on the day the Red Sox won the World Series. We were set up by mutual friends. Yes, one of the friends is a stripper.

Ed is an author and winning poker player, but mostly he's a lazy, hairy bastard who sleeps in, watches sports all day, and drinks a lot of beer. And he's snobbish about his beer and wine.

I'm a law student. I like to hike and I'm mildly crafty. I'm tall (taller than Ed) and I'm pretty normal looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are missing out on some killer indian food by not eating meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, there's a vegitatian indian buffet in manhattan that is killer.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I like things on the spicy side, and I could hardly call a nice pot of red beans ruined for being too spicy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Dat taste good, I gar-on-tee!"

Old 09-27-2005, 07:35 AM

I see that egg whites are an ingredient in Boca Italian Sausages. Are there rules about whether egg whites qualify as vegetarian?