Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: It\'s a big flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I was kinda thinking more along the lines of a raise...

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think that's a good idea as I'd guess your behind an Ace, a set of Nines, a set of Threes or Aces over Nines about a combined 90% of the time here.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky and co. often say that you should do whatever you can to win the really big pots. I figured that this was the case here.

[/ QUOTE ] They mean when you can improve your chances of winning by knocking out players with better hands or draws. For instance, if you hold A8 on a K87 flop, you might be able to knock out someone with QQ, JJ, or TT if you raise with your MPTK. You might also be able to knock out someone with a JT gutshot.

On this board with a huge pot, your not going to knock out any better hands which is any ace, and I don't see any draws you can knock out either. I think your behind and drawing to two outs and I don't see how raising is going to help you much even if you could knock someone out.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The better players now days are the ones whom aren't TAG's, but TANs, whom call, manipulate, induce bluffing, and see showdowns. The higher limit boards are starting to realise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok....forgive the dumb question, but it's early and I haven't had enough coffee yet. What's a TAN? Tight, Agressive,????
Old 09-26-2005, 07:18 AM

TAN = tight aggressive before the flop neutral (not SO aggressive, but still aggressive) after the flop.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 AM

This is a raise or fold, the field is large and with heavy action preflop. I find it very unlikely that we're not behind here. I'd consider it as a 2 outer, since we have the odds to call, I suggest a raise in order to buy some outs. If not improved I think we have to fold the turn. I would also hesitate to call a C/R.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a raise or fold,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're even considering folding here then you don't understand pot odds, (let alone implied odds.)
Old 09-26-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The sb had 99 and the flop better had A3o. Like I said, a good table. It's a pity he slowplayed the turn though.

[/ QUOTE ]
You sir, are a luckbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work hard at it. I sacrifice a chicken before every playing session. I used to do kittens but Wookie took that over.

[/ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, I hope you see what I'm saying when I assert that a flop raise does not increase your chances to win this pot if you are already behind. This is a call > raise >>>>> fold situation on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't grunch (at work), but this makes the most sense. When you got donkbet, you were likely facing Ax, two crappy pair, or a set, which put you way behind. You're not causing any of these better hand than yours to fold here by raising. Take the odds on making your set and call. I probably would have called>folded (weak/tight). As it turns out, you put two bets in, which did not protect your hand, and lucked out because you didn't get 3-bet, and hit your set on the turn. I try to be mindful possible incorrect decisions being rewarded with a big pot. This can set my mind to making the same incorrect decision again.