Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Playing on-line poker underage (17)

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you go on holiday with your girlfriend, who is exactly one day younger than you, to California, our most liberal state, and probably our most sexually liberated. The legal age of consent for sex in California is 18, and there is no defense to prosecution based on the relative age of the participants. So, under California law, if you and your girlfriend have sex one minute before midnight on your 18th birthday, while she is still 17, then you have committed a felony and can be sent to prison for several years. Wait one minute before inserting, and it's perfectly legal.

I don't agree with a lot of laws, but laws tend to have bright lines rather than leave their interpretation up to individuals. Sort of like poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! At MOST you are guilty of a misdemeanor and could recieve at MOST a $2,000 fine. However, it's likely that your punishment would be on the very low side seeing that the particular offense rides the border of this controversial law. And it seems if you're married then feel free to satisfy your underage urges...EGAD!:

261.5. (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual
intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the
perpetrator, if the person is a minor.

For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person
under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person
who is at least 18 years of age.

(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual
intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years
older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is
guilty of a misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual
intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than
the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and
shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one
year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

(d) Any person over the age of 21 years who engages in an act of
unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age
is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished
by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by
imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years.

(e) (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an
adult who engages in an act of sexual intercourse with a minor in
violation of this section may be liable for civil penalties in the
following amounts:

(A) An adult who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse
with a minor less than two years younger than the adult is liable for
a civil penalty not to exceed two thousand dollars ($2,000).

(B) An adult who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse
with a minor at least two years younger than the adult is liable for
a civil penalty not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000).

(C) An adult who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse
with a minor at least three years younger than the adult is liable
for a civil penalty not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

(D) An adult over the age of 21 years who engages in an act of
unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor under 16 years of age is
liable for a civil penalty not to exceed twenty-five thousand dollars
($25,000).

This is CA. Most states actually have an age of consent of 16 (much more lenient than the supposedly liberal state you used for an example). There are even a few states that "circumstantially" go as low as 14. And "bright lines" my arse. Most laws are as grey as my great-granmammie's bobby pin laden hair. As for the poker comparison, optimal strategy is more grey than most people contend.

Anyhow, now that I've debunked made up laws, I'd like to say that all this "little kids shouldn't be playing online poker" malarky is 100% unjustified. People ultimately have to lookout for their own well being in these situations. And if a 16-yr old is capable of making big bucks playing online, they have NO moral responsibilty to a bunch of old farts worried that their precious ILLEGAL online gambling enterprise could come to an end. You are both breaking laws; the only difference is that the "minor" is breaking site regulations. This matter is between them and the site. While the site is perfectly justified in taking the cash, they won't necessarily do so as it may or may not be in their best interest.

As for the government, if they are going to end internet gambling in the U.S. there is little to be gained by disencouraging youths on twoplustwo. The gvn'mt will always find examples of the evil inherent in gambling if they decide to pursue its demise on their holy chariot. Unless, of course, the WTO comes to our defense on its own mighty steed.

For the argument that these Poor Poor kids are getting themselves in trouble and us noble poker players have a responsibility to discourage that. Well...Some are, some aren't. Same goes for the 18+ population. By being a winning player (or even a losing one), you have definetly took some irresponsible individual's money and now the poor sap has lost his/her home, car, husband/wife, kids, etc.

People will gamble. If you are going to continue to pursue this as a career or hobby, then you have to get over the Judeo-Christian guilt construct that has been instilled in your society.

I for one agree that most minors may be more likely to lose money than older players, but for that reason I actually want them here. Silly me...

If anyone has a responsibility for these pups it's their parents. Let their parents help them determine the EV of internet poker, the same as alcohol, drugs, sex, and anything else.

But despite my defense of the OP and young players in general, I must contend that the OP is a bit foolish (especially for an AAA level student or whatever) for not researching sites to find those that aren't as likely to request identity proof by fax (such as Prima and Cryptologic sites).

Nuf' said.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:17 PM

YES! YES! they can and will
Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Im 17.
I know I lack a lot of knowledge about almost everything, first of all u need to realize that ure no more than a lucky kid with rich parents. ( just like me) Without the enviroment u are absolutely nothing, u are born in a poor suburbians in Lima or Sao Paulo and ure screwed, no internet, no poker, nothing..so show some humility.( and im talking about a person with the same IQ potential)
I live in a slightly tougher enviroment than urs so Im jealous.

Anyway Im just taking the side of those who say 17 yr. old like me are clueless.

But Im also here to help, create a legal account( u need an adult to help you)do an inter account transfer and thats it.
I did this succesfully( but I still cant cashout from netteler because I live in chile, see? thats y i hate u [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img])
But of course I failed first, partypoker took away from me 130 dollars back in june( I made a post about it i think)however in october,partypoker gave them back to me after I made cashed out from empire poker( with the good an ol interacount tranfer trick). Anyway u should have made this post BEFORE doing the withdrawal request.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am intellegent

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Ah c'mon. If we went around knocking everyone who mispelled something online we'd be doing a lot of knocking (and that's just for people who use English as their first language) . The misuse of "your" and "loose" alone would probably send our highschool grammar teachers into fits. I don't know how many times I've chuckled when someone writes "your a looser" in chat after a bad beat.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 PM

People ripping on 16 and 17 year olds are just jealous they did not discover poker in their teens [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like a visa check card? You can't have one of those until you're 18. And you can't deposit with a MAC or STAR card or anything. So whose did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a visa check card at 16, and a credit card at 17 (a real credit card, not some secured thing, although it was cosigned).
Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On another note. If I was 40 and had a pretty bright 15 year old. I would set up an account for him to play poker for money. I would take 50 percent for backing him of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have kids and see if you still feel this way. You do realize that most people who play poker lose (even the extremely smart ones)? Some people even fall into the addiction of gambling and it destroys their lives. Is this what you would want from your bright (but immature and impressionable) 15 year old?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I WILL encourage my kids if and when they want to play poker. . . So I can supervise it and them.

They will have hot and cold streaks much longer than they think streaks can be; I can help them put it into perspective. If they feel addicted to the game (as can happen with any game), I can help them deal with it. If they get frustrated with bad beats, I can help them cope. If they have a super-successful streak, I can try to keep it from going to their heads.

Because all these things WILL happen eventually. It may not be until college. . . and it may not be poker, it may be craps (with no chance to win, long-term) or drugs or sex or booze or fundamentalist religion. They will find something that gives them a high, and it can be addicting as well as exhilirating. And, occasionally, that thing will also be depressing or crushing.

Poker is a a little bit of life in a nutshell, so I think it's a great learning ground for dealing with all those things. You can't hide the world from your kids -- I think the best thing is to expose them to it a little at a time while you're still able to be around to help them deal with it.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:30 PM

Sometimes the person telling you not to gamble is the person youd least expect.

The truth is, there are times when you shouldnt gamble.

Like if you're under 21, or had too much too drink.