Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Best line w/99

Hero is mp1 red 99 Button is 22/13/2 like 100 hands or so

Preflop: folds to hero who raises, every folds to button who three bets, sb folds bb calls, hero calls

Flop: 2h 4h 8s
bb checks to me, hero bets, Button raises, bb folds, I call

Turn: 2c
hero checks, button raises, hero reraises, button calls

Riv: 2s
hero bets, button folds

what's the best line here I think my check raise on the turn is dangerous but I"m folding to a three bet. I c/r the turn because I was thinking he had AKh etc. and I know he will still bet at it and I can get an extra BB. anyways thoughts other lines thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Best line w/99

Just call the turn.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:48 AM

While overcards plus a flush draw is certainly a possibility for Button, he will usually have something else (including, sometimes, just overcards with no draw). For instance, AhKh thru AhJh is just three combos, while TT alone is 6 combos.

Leading the flop in an effort to gets heads-up seems worth doing to me, but I would probably just check-call the turn. You are going to be behind here fairly often (particularly once we take the flop raise into account). And while I do think you can fold if your turn checkraise gets 3-bet, you would be throwing away set outs that are worth about 0.5 BBs at the point when you got 3-bet, given the size of the pot. (Getting Villain to release AK on the turn, if you can, would be worth even more, but I have some doubts about our ability to get Button to fold prior to the river.)

If you did check-call the turn, I think a stop-n-go on the river is something to consider. I would probably check-call instead, but bet-folding might be better.

Given your turn checkraise, I wonder if you should check the river? The strength you showed on the turn reduces the chances that you'll get called by ace-high on the river, and also Button may be scared enough of getting checkraised again that he'll give you a free showdown with his JJ. And maybe if he has a hand he figures is beat, such as AhKh, he'll take the check as an invitation to try a desperation bluff.

I don't know. It's just a thought. I'm probably taking Villain's river fold into account. (I very much doubt he folded a better hand.)
Old 09-07-2005, 02:42 AM

I like:

Bet the flop and call a raise (getting heads-up is good).

Bet the turn...

The reason I like a donk-bet here is that so many opponents will automatically raise AK here (which is not always, or even usually, correct) that I don't want to let the turn get checked through. Admittedly, many opponents who do this will not have the discipline to check the turn behind anyway, so simply check-calling the turn can be better. When betting out on the turn, I prefer to be able to fold to a turn raise, but aggressive opponents will often raise donk-bets like it's their job, so that situation isn't great.

Basically, I prefer the donk-bet line but would tend to opt toward check-call on the turn against opponents for whom either or both of these two statements are true:

-My opponent will always bet the turn with unimproved overcards.

-My opponent will sometimes raise the turn without a pair.

Check-raising is spewing because quite often in these situations you'll be up against an overpair and given the action so far it's hard to say you're actually ahead > 55% of the time by showdown. Getting three-bet sucks even if you fold to a raise because for the same amount of money you could have seen a showdown and given yourself the 4-5% chance of spiking a set card.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Some of these replies are totally misunderstanding the difference between a "donk" bet and a stop n go. A donk bet would be to check/call on the flop and lead the turn; a stop n' go would be to bet the flop, call a raise and lead the turn. big difference.
I like the check raise here. If you get three bet you can let it go. I wouldn't check this turn unless you were taking this line; I usually bet here except against more aggressive opponents.
I might even check the river thinking villain won't call with a hand I beat, but might make a last ditch bluff at the pot w/Ace high. Need a read.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:56 PM

I think it's really bad that the button bet the turn if he were really drawing to oc's, and it seems that he was. Anyway, nice hand. I would consider just check-raising the flop and trying to take control right there: your better opponents won't bet that turn for you after you just call the flop raise.

INCLUDE THE POT SIZE IN YOUR POST SO THAT I DONT HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF.