Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 PM

Default (KK)3 folds early

The train game -- $1-5 spread limit, $1-10 on the river, $1 ante, $1 bring in.

Loose aggressive type who is stuck and steaming a bit, but who is not nuts, makes it $3 to go with an Ace in the door. Loose but not horrible player calls with a jack, I call with (KK)3, bring in calls for $2 more.

4th street brings:

(xx)AT
(xx)JQ
(KK)39
(xx)25

The ace bets $5, the JQ calls, I fold. Good? Weak?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: (KK)3 folds early

I would certainly raise 4th here. The solid player may have something like (JA)J or just any pair of jacks and loose player may have aces and he may not. I'm certainly not folding here and I prefer raising. That's just me, I'm aggro...this is also a very fast structured game and I am splashing here.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2005, 01:18 PM

I’d just call this down. I don’t understand the fold; don’t see much benefit to raise either.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Sorry, I think my post was misleading on structure - the $1 ante is total -- the dealer antes for the table. So this is a real underante game. When I folded, there was $24 in the pot (including the fourth street bet and call). I felt to bet the max into four of us, he had to feel he had the best hand -- either with aces or a pocket pair of QQ, KK (unlikely) or maybe TT that hit trips. QQ is also less likely since a Q fell on the opponent. So I felt it was about 50/50 he had aces, with the other possibilities being 40% he had QQ, KK or TT in the pocket and 10% he had a big three flush or some other hand that he was bluffing with.

The caller with JQ also had to have some semblance of a hand to stay in -- maybe a str8 draw with one of my kings down? Or it could just be JJ.

The bring in behind me I don't figure to have much.

If I call here, I'm going to be calling fifth and sixth unimproved, since the pot is going to swell. And even if my opponent has just a pocket pair now, he can also hit an ace for aces up.

I don't at all like calling, but Jeff I think raising is the other option. I could then bet out on fifth if checked to and take a free on on sixth unimproved. The problem is the river, where I may have to call a $10 bet with two pair against aces up.That big river bet is one reason I much prefer draws to big pairs in this game.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:43 PM

Makes a lot more sense now.
Are you sure he wouldn’t bet the max with a medium buried pair here though? He would even be correct to do so, I guess. I have no experience with spread limit whatsoever, but if I was in there with 88A I’d bet $5. Mainly because it looks scarier than, say, a $3 bet - you wouldn’t have folded to that, right?
You know this guy and I don’t, of course. Have you seen him make smaller bets with not-so-good hands?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 PM

Yeah, guys do that -- although this guy is less prone to bet $3. I totally agree he could have a lesser hand, but I saw a hand like (88)A as highly unlikely when he bet the max as first to act into three players who called third.