Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Why is 1/2 like WAY harder than .50/1?

I just feel like I'm getting man-handled by the 1/2 players. It seems whenever I make a play at a pot somebody was slowplaying a monster hand, and whenever I fold second pair the other 2 people in the pot were bluffing with overcards.

Anybody else get this feeling when moving up to 1/2, and does it go away?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Why is 1/2 like WAY harder than .50/1?

1/2 sucks ass. I play 1/2 for awhile, lose some, then win it back by playing 1/2 6max instead. I just keep putting off the part where I go back to the full game.

I think I'm starting to get a better grasp of it. Here are my current thoughts:

1) Stealing attempts can happen more, so on steals, you have to steal a bit more than .5/1 and also protect your blind from steals more. BUT only a little bit more. If you accidentally let your steal attempt get up to 45% like I did, you get owned.

2) Depending on when you play, and your table selection abilities, any PP and any Axs from any position is often a losing play. Try your best to seek out tables where these plays are still ok, but don't count on it. You must be disciplined enough to fold these hands in early position if the game requires.

3) If players like to check-raise the turn (HINT: They do.), take more free cards instead of the old style of the continued agression. You're in the best shape if you know your players. Some people will always fold after you bet the turn, some will C/R every time they have a hand, and some will always C/R, period.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:36 PM

you're probably sitting at the wrong tables. there are some very difficult 1/2 tables, but then again there are plenty of easy 1/2 tables as well. you just have to look for them.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 PM

I definetely noticed more tricky play in 1/2, something I guess I'll have to get used to.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:39 PM

Why have there been a rash of "1/2 is so much harder than .5/1" posts lately? I don't get it. I just cleared a bonus playing 1/2 full the other day on Party (which by the way is the BEST limit for bonus clearance hands down IMO), and they are still soft. Some tables are tighter than others, but all are very beatable.

The only thing I can tell you is that you should post some hands that make you feel icky. 1/2 does have a different feel overall, and you do have to make some adjustments, but there is no reason you should not beat this limit. The players are tighter in general, but still bad.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 PM

1) Table selection 2) Pay more attention to how your opponents play and adjust accordingly 3) Instead of posting something like this post some hands that you have problems with
Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Hey Greg, I feel the very same way as Fryguy, even after countless posts like yours saying how it's not bad. I think the reason is because 1/2 was the first time things changed. Previously, the game just gets a bit tighter as you move up limits. I started at .05/.1, then .1/.2, then .25/.5, then .5/1 was the easiest jump of all.

1/2 was the first level where there really is a difference in style. The part that bothers me the most is that I can tell by watching that these players are all horrible, but after 6k hands, I'm still losing almost 2bb/100.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM

yawn @ you bitchy whiners.

post hands and learn the game. it's not like 10/20 for crying out loud. this game is stupid easy to beat if you learn.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yawn @ you bitchy whiners.

post hands and learn the game. it's not like 10/20 for crying out loud. this game is stupid easy to beat if you learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:03 PM

I have to say the talk of 1/2 sucking is highly exaggerated. Since I moved to 1/2 I've been beating the shiznit out of it.

Only 7.5K hands but good results