Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Steal Attempt with A6s

I'm still a little lost on how to play these HU situations when you attempting a steal and don't hit the flop.

Was I supposed to call his flop bet even though I might only have 1 overcard, a backdoor flush, and weak backdoor STR8?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 09-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Steal Attempt with A6s

Not sure it's worth continuing after the flop. Even if you pick up the A (which you did), is it still the best hand?
Old 09-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Fold the flop. It's small pot and you're likely beat.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:38 PM

nice spot to try a steal, but you completely missed this flop. You need to fold, or if you've got a read, try raising to push him out of the hand on the turn (lots of weak players will check/fold the turn with anything less than top pair in this situation).
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM

I think having some read on your opponent helps out here.It's folded around to you on the button and you raise. This is very standard, and you are correct to raise here, for the chance to steal the blinds, and also you may have the best hand here. The BB could be defending with quite a range of hands.

The flop has missed you, and the BB bets into. Do you think he would bet without at least a pair? You are getting 5:1 to call if you think you might be behind, and as you said you have an overcard, BDSD, and BDFD. That gives you roughly 5-6 outs. I would make this flop call myself HU against most players, and re-evaluate on the turn.

I play the turn and river the same.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Depends if your opponent is capable of re-stealing I guess.

edit: what I mean is, If he really has a good hand wouldn't he check-raise you? There are so many things to this hand to take into consideration. But in general if he bets out I think it's okay to call an re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:16 PM

He did raise the turn ... you mean raise the flop?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM

I usually fold and keep an eye on him, as if he does this often I will need to stand up at least call his flop bets and reevaluate on the turn. This is a drawless board so there's pretty much no strong draw he'd be betting here except for 56 (and you have a 6).

Turning an ace is probably a better plan though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant is that if villain would've picked up a hand wouldn't he try to check the flop in hopes of raising hero there? (since villain bets out he might be bluffing, re-stealing). So I think the flop call is okay, I could be giving the villian too much credit though. It really depends on reads...
Old 09-12-2005, 05:26 PM

In do agree I think a real strong HU hand like TP would rather c/r that flop than lead out, so I'm not super concerned about him having a K. However, I don't think leading out with MP / BP is unreasonable here either. So I don't completely discount an 8 making TP here, and probably peel the flop also.

The turn is a perfect card for us and hand plays itself after that.