Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Default So, Am I a fish??

I've been bonus whoring since Jan 1st. Started with $10 on Party and turned it into $100 at the 25NL tables. Cleared the Criptos and had $348 bankroll - all from NL tables - either .25/.50 or .50/1.00. Deposited at Paradise using GRANNY, then made two deposits for the SuperBowl. Then I fell apart. Last night, I lost $150.00 on Paradise. Early on one table I saw a guy lose $50.00 by betting JJ all in. He lost to KK. I was heads up with this guy about 15 minutes later. I had Big Slick os. Flop comes K,6,2 rainbow. Villain checks, I raise $5.00, villain calls. Turn is K so I have three of a kind. Villain checks, I raise $10, villain calls. I'm figuring he's betting the other K or has Pocket Aces or Queens. River is 9. Villain checks, I raise all-in $35. Villain calls and flips pocket 6's for the boat. Down $50.

Later at same table I get pocket J's. I call the blind, everyone fold except BB who checks. Flop comes 10, J, 4 rainbow. I have a set of Jacks and decide not to screw around. All in - $50.00. BB calls. Turn is 9, River is K. And the villain turns over Q,3 os. Down another $50.

Several hours later I'm still down $98 of the $100. I get pocket aces and I've decided this is my last hand of the night. I call Blind , SB and BB both stay. Flop is 2s,6d,8d. SB and BB check, I bet $10.00. SB and BB call. Turn is Jh. SB bets $10, BB folds, I call. River is 3c. SB checks, I go all-in $52.00. SB stalls for almost the entire 30 seconds, then calls. He has set Jacks. Down $150 for the night and sweating profusely!!

So, am I a FISH or just had a few bad beats? I'm thinking of just cashing out and keeping the $198.00 and calling it quits. Any thoughts??
Old 02-08-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: So, Am I a fish??

Nah, you're not a fish. NL swings are huge and you got to be prepared for them.

When I played NL, if I lost an all-in that was big, I called it a night. My problem then was I'd get aggressive trying to make it up quick and look for any situation to push all-in again. I couldn't handle the tilt from a suckout. Sadly, I dumped a lot of money when I first started playing before I recognized I was actually on tilt and needed to leave the tables.

Swings like that happen on NL though and if you want to stick to NL, you got to be prepared to accept that and deal accordingly.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:55 PM

I lost a $350 pot at NL25 once because I had aces and I'm an idiot.

I have to say, after grinding at NL25 and .5/1 and 1/2 6max, I really prefer 1/2 6max. The suckouts happen more often, but for less money.

I attribute every one of my session losses to bad play, though, and not bad runs of cards. At the same time, I try not to beat myself up over the short term...this gets easier the farther into the hole you get starting out. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Keep on whoring the bonuses and playing within your limits! And for god's sake, if you aren't clearing a bonus, you better be playing with rakeback...
Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL swings are huge and you got to be prepared for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue.

But to the OP, it seems like you were playing outside of bankroll requirements.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have left after losing the first $50 (that damn hindsight thing!) I did feel a need to make it up and thought I had both times right up until the players showed their hands. I think I'll take a few days off and try my luck against the Fri and Sat night drunks. If I lose another $100 I think I'll fold for a while...
Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 PM

I may be playing outside the bankroll requirements but what can a guy do while trying to build a bankroll? I'm using Homer's How to Build a Bankroll suggestions. I seemed to be plugging along doing OK until Paradise.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't say it's untrue. If one single person has ever had a huge swing at NL that makes it true.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Which part?

You can't say NL swings aren't huge and you cannot say one shouldn't be prepared for swings.

The OP can contest to NL swings as he's in a downwards one right now. You have to prepare for these swings is obvious by you talking about bankroll management.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't say it's untrue. If one single person has ever had a huge swing at NL that makes it true.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bow before your logical reasoning abilities.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be playing outside the bankroll requirements but what can a guy do while trying to build a bankroll? I'm using Homer's How to Build a Bankroll suggestions. I seemed to be plugging along doing OK until Paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are definately on the right track, however your focus should not be on NL ring games to clear these bonuses.

Try again, but clear these signup bonuses on the lowest limit ring tables you can. Instead of trying to win lots of money through your play, instead try not to lose any money and be satisfied with finishing up the whole bonus amount.

It's amazing how fast these bonuses will build your bankroll just by playing even poker. You should be able to build your bankroll to 2k in a month or two this way, depending on the hours you can put in. Once you get 2k, then you can take advantage of all the sweet reloads that are offered on a regular basis.

Now if NL is in your blood, don't worry. You will be able to use your limit ring play to qualify for many many special point buy in free rolls that are offered at just about every site now. There you can satisfy your NL desires, without any risk.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. I'd hate to see a promising player give up so quickly. Everything you need to succeed is there afterall. Just put the focus on the bonus, eliminate most of the risk, and build your bankroll. It's very easy.