Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Default AKo misplayed on every street

Hi everyone. I just finished up a break even week, so I went through the hands where I had some problems and decided to post this one for discussion. Villin is 39, 12, 2 after 40 hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
Old 10-15-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: AKo misplayed on every street

Looks fine to me. His numbers are somewhat Laggy, but he doesn't have a ridiculous PFR%, so the three-bet probably means something. Let's say 99+, AJs+, AQo+. You're probably ahead after the flop, but there's a chance you're not-- might as well play it WA/WB. The turn check-raise smells like a bluff to me (or a monster). Call it and let him bet the river again. I think the only debatable part of the hand is the river: raise/fold? I suspect that's best, but I doubt I can fold to a 3-bet, so I'd probably just call like you did.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn check-raise smells like a bluff to me (or a monster). Call it and let him bet the river again. I think the only debatable part of the hand is the river: raise/fold? I suspect that's best...

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like an excellent argument for a call. Why would you want to raise if he's bluffing?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 AM

Raise the flop. Whether you fold, call, or 3-bet the turn depends on villain.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The turn check-raise smells like a bluff to me (or a monster). Call it and let him bet the river again. I think the only debatable part of the hand is the river: raise/fold? I suspect that's best...

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like an excellent argument for a call. Why would you want to raise if he's bluffing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this guy is so loose, I suspect he'll call even with a bluff on the river (assuming that bluff is 99-QQ, not AQ).
Old 10-15-2005, 04:46 PM

I raise this flop every time. Chances are if you do you avoid getting check-raised on the turn. You can then just call down.

If you raise the flop and he smooth calls and check-raises the turn you have a tough decision as the pot is big but there are plenty of hands a semi-LAG will 3-bet pf that beat you. But you can feel a LOT better about laying TPTK down here than if you had NOT shown strength on the flop.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this flop every time. Chances are if you do you avoid getting check-raised on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? If you raise the flop, it's easier for them to checkraise the turn because they know you'll bet it. Villain used a screwplay here, and that's not nearly as common as the bet/call check-raise line.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 PM

I would raise the flop
Old 10-15-2005, 05:32 PM

Did you just call the flop so you could raise a blank on the turn?

I like just calling down the check raise. He could be semibluffing and he's a LAG so I'm happy to let him bluff the river.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 PM

I smooth called the flop to preserve my opportunity to raise the turn. Villan had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].