Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Limping QQ under the gun

YSSCKY
Old 10-04-2005, 03:39 AM

In a full game, I limp a lot of the time if I play a hand UTG. I'll also limp-reraise with many hands. Obviously there are many conditions where limping can be fine w/ QQ early. In a shorter game, I like to raise a lot more UTG, hence I usually raise this one too.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a full game, I limp a lot of the time if I play a hand UTG. I'll also limp-reraise with many hands. Obviously there are many conditions where limping can be fine w/ QQ early. In a shorter game, I like to raise a lot more UTG, hence I usually raise this one too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am generally speaking of a full game, and do raise this under the gun in short (six or less) games since I'm more likely to have position, and besides, this is a game of blind stealing much more so than a ring game.

Just out of curiousity, do you limp AK here also? AA/KK with the intent to reraise (if the table is aggressive enough)? JJ/TT? If you limp any of those, how many of those do you plan to always reraise?

I limp all of those (I select tables/games that are aggressive enough to make limp/reraising AA/KK profitable), plan to always reraise AA/KK, sometimes reraise AK/QQ, and never reraise JJ/TT (shouldn't say "never", but almost never).

FWIW, I limp-reraise 99-22/air here once in a while to mix up my game.

Aseem
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 AM

deep deep i don't limp
Old 10-04-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I limp-reraise 99-22/air here once in a while to mix up my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
deep deep i don't limp

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

So you're saying the opposite of me... in a short(er) stack game, you would tend to limp, but in a deep(er) stack game, you raise?

Aseem
Old 10-04-2005, 02:22 PM

this thread is making my eyes bleed.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:46 PM

At least you can still see, my brother is just reading this thread to me and I'm typing blind. adlkfjadfkldjashfasujhklasdf;lkajsdf
Old 10-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Full ring I will often limp UTG if the table has a few weak short stacks hoping that one of them raise and I can isolate even if there are deep stacks at the table. If you limp and this pot goes muti-way it can be very tricky but I think the only situation that isn't terribly tough here is when you hit a set or take the blinds.

I also think the question you are asking is a little too general but regardless of stack sizes there would be game conditions where you could justify either play. If I had to guess I probably limp something like 1 in 5 hands with QQ UTG full-ring and almost never short-handed.

Also, I would like to say that I think a lot of the people responding to this thread need to look in the mirror. You guys spend more time bitching and complaining or posting some stupid [censored] then you probably realize. Search some of the names in this thread and you will see what I mean. No wonder you guys have so many posts.

If you think this guy is asking a stupid question don't respond. I am just getting tired of going through posts with lots of responses thinking it will be an interesting topic only find out 90% of them are by sarcastic assholes.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM

There are so many good reasons to limp QQ UTG in a deep stacked game... what you want is to isolate headsup AJ, AT, JJ and worse. Now imagine if you limp also QJ, 87s etc; your limp here isn't scary. The deception that comes with the initial limp if the pot preflop builds up to something worthwhile (20-30 BB) is exactly what you want - I'm betting pot when it gets back to me. A short stacked (100BB ish) AK-AJ, JJ, TT is almost always going to push here and put you on TT or worse. If you raise UTG and shortstack pushes - I'm going to have to call unless you know shortstack's pushing range is AA-KK; generally it's far bigger (I see A9 suited; AJ suited pushing here all the time in a 2/5 nl game) and there's a reason why they are shortstacked. This way there is a bigger pot filled with dead money. If it goes multiway and a family pot occurs - see the flop with the 3rd best starting hand in hold'em. Check/bet/call/fold depending on the board - easy.

Now imagine you (standard TAG) raised UTG (7x BB for example) with a stack of 500BB. Someone with 700BB reraises. What now? Without a read this is a clear muck situation. 4/1 dog at worst, flip at best because you've already declared your hand as a premium and now someone that covers you is raising you. If you raise UTG and gets called by tricky deep stake (who would call with AA) - what now? What can you put him on? Rag board can be scary; broadway is scary, a 87, 67, 56, 98, any paired board is scary. You are out of position and you cannot proceed with any confidence and is liable to be outplayed postflop unless you hit your set. Call and hope to hit a set or muck.