Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: When Genuises Are Certain

If keeping a genius alive saves many lives, there is nothing wrong with allowing a few to die to accomplish that goal. But that doesn't mean anything. There were probably times the same calculation was used where the word "genius" was replaced with the word "horse".
Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore why even bother to argue about the nature of men, natural or spiritual. If your going to tell me that the Bible is correct, which you have to in order for your analysis of mans nature to hold any water, why not just give me some passages that show that there is God rather than leading us on this roundabout way to Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I addressed the first portion of your message to my satisfaction (and hopefully to yours), I do not think I did a great job with the quoted portion above.

The Bible does not argue for the existence of God. It does contain ridiculing statements for those who say God does not exist:

Psa 14:1 and 53:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

The Bible's position is that everyone knows there is a God. As I have already quoted from Romans 1:18-20, men suppress the truths about God. These truths are plainly seen to them by what is created. So you are going to have a hard time finding a convincing argument in Scripture for the existence of God simply because such an argument (according to scripture) is not necessary.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then if you were able to bet on who was right between a random genuis, and a random, kind of smart, person, I say you could certainly lay a big price on the genuis. Exactly how big depends on the subject. But religion definitely is one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming the motive of the "genius" was pure.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:29 AM

When a genuis is certain he ceases to be a genuis.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about analytical ability. The ability to EASILY get a Phd in subjects like physics, logic, economics, or maybe even law. Not just pure math ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is a very good description of genius. I personally define genius as someone who creates a fundamental or profound change in their field. Sometimes the change or thought is so profound that it is seen as absurd by its contemporaries...

In this definition, I don't think that I could put money on the genius if we had a "panel" judging the debate. If other contemporaries scoffed at the "geniuses" ideas, would they accept any logical argument on a subject that the "genius" put forth in his/her particular field?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:29 AM

appeal to authority. appeal to popular sentiment.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Just because they are a favorite to be right doesn't mean they have to be right. (The problem with that point is that if many genuises all believe the same thing the price gets pretty high.)

3. As long as some genuises believe differently from the rest, lesser minds are free to take both sides. (Actually I would say they should just watch the debate. And if the overwhelming majority of the genuises believe one thing, I'll still lay a big price on them.)

[/ QUOTE ]

you are basically describing the delphi technique. no need to reinvent the wheel