Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-27-2005, 07:19 PM

Default My One Thousandth post. The irritation of \"souped up\" cars.

Seriously, what is up with souped up cars? Why is it legal to make your car as noisy as possible? I am going to be writing to my Member of Parliament about this.

I dunno about you guys, but I live in a fairly large city. The noise from these bloody things is getting out of control. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping because every couple of minutes, someone drives by in these things (and I don't live on a main street).

Who do they think they are impressing by making their cars purposefully noisy? It doesn't impress most women, that I'm sure of. Before she met me, my girlfriend went on a date with someone who picked her up in one of these "souped up" cars. She asked him if it was supposed to sound like that. She didn't see him again.

Were these people starved for attention as children? Did their parents not do things with them? Do they just want people to look at them and wonder why they're so stupid and ignorant?

Oh, and why on Earth do these neanderthals sit so far back in their seats that they can barely drape their hand over the wheel? They just look silly. Maybe if they increased the age to get a licence to 20 or something, this problem wouldn't be as great.

Oh, and I find most guys that have these cars are short. Coincidence? Probably not.

[/rant]
Ryan
Old 12-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: My One Thousandth post. The irritation of \"souped up\" cars.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I find most guys that have these cars are asian. Coincidence? Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Hmmm... I let my 1000th pass without mention.
I actually wonder which one it was now.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Actually most of them around here are either ginos or wannabe ginos (that thought is rather puzzling).

Ryan
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 PM

Whistle tips?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whistle tips? [/quote

wooooo whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

and i love it how near the end when the guy drivves off to "demonstrate" that he swerves all over the road and clearly drives directly through a stop sign.

Barron
Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 PM

First, let me say that I'm not defending these guys by any means - I hate the ricers with the über-loud exhuasts.

A lot of people sup up their cars to try to squeeze some more power out of their engines. One relatively cheap and easy way is to change the intake and exhaust. The best performing exhaust systems have very little impeding the airflow. Mufflers that are real quiet are very restrictive to the airflow and are terrible for power. In fact, the best exhaust for power would have no muffler at all. It's similar with the intake - a short-ram or cold-air intake will be noticeably louder than the stock intake, but much less restrictive to the airflow and therefor the power.

Now, that's the legitimate beginnings of it. Done right, you can get significant gains in performance with minimal noise. The problem is that there are a lot of idiots that just slap this [censored] on and gain (or even lose!) like 5hp out of it and a whole bunch of noise. These are the same guys who bolt a gaudy aluminum rear wing to the trunk and slap performance brand stickers all over the windows and doors thinking they've just turned their Civic/Prelude/CRX/Saturn into some performance monster on 15" steelies.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One relatively cheap and easy way is to change the intake and exhaust. The best performing exhaust systems have very little impeding the airflow. Mufflers that are real quiet are very restrictive to the airflow and are terrible for power. In fact, the best exhaust for power would have no muffler at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't adding a larger exhaust usually kill all the bottom end out of those economical Japanese low-torque engines (no exhaust scavenging)? In California, you see a lot of [censored] Hondas with an enormous exhaust, loud as hell and it accelerates like a Volkswagen.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One relatively cheap and easy way is to change the intake and exhaust. The best performing exhaust systems have very little impeding the airflow. Mufflers that are real quiet are very restrictive to the airflow and are terrible for power. In fact, the best exhaust for power would have no muffler at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't adding a larger exhaust usually kill all the bottom end out of those economical Japanese low-torque engines (no exhaust scavenging)? In California, you see a lot of [censored] Hondas with an enormous exhaust, loud as hell and it accelerates like a Volkswagen.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a bit to it and some (a lot) of those huge idiot fartcans do actually hinder performance. These are the idiots who are just putting it on to make noise and give the impression that they're more than they are.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: My One Thousandth post. The irritation of useless milestone posts

n/m