Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Default luck luck luck

hey, I have a friend whose nickname is duck. He plays poker in a retarded way, like raising all in with nothing off flops, and he always wins on closed straight draws and the like. He has beaten rockets with 6-3 offsuit and he beats me in that way pretty consistently. We have started calling him luck instead of duck. I always make the right plays against him but always lose, has anyone had similar experiences or advice?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: luck luck luck

[ QUOTE ]
hey, I have a friend whose nickname is duck. He plays poker in a retarded way, like raising all in with nothing off flops, and he always wins on closed straight draws and the like. He has beaten rockets with 6-3 offsuit and he beats me in that way pretty consistently. We have started calling him luck instead of duck. I always make the right plays against him but always lose, has anyone had similar experiences or advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely. I forget who it was who said it back in the kurosh/neverwin thread, but as poker players we find it very easy to see where our opponents are playing wrong, and very very difficult to see where we have made mistakes. While your friend may be bad at poker, if he is consistently beating you, then you are doing something wrong, and it is possible that he is in fact good at poker, and you just don't realize it. Re-analyze your game, pay attention to where and how he's beating you, ask yourself if you're really playing those situations correctly, read a book (I recommend SSHE to start off with).
Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SIIHP
Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM

I refuse to believe that I am playing bad poker. I admit that he is good in that his play is extremely unpredictable. But he goes all in and calls all ins with hands like 4-2 (his favorite hand) off suit preflop. I have found it possible to trap him with a good hand and checking and letting him do the betting, but other than that I have nothin against him.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I refuse to believe that I am playing bad poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're never going to get anywhere in this game.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're never going to get anywhere in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You are not playing perfect poker. I am not playing perfect poker. El Diablo is not playing perfect poker. Daniel Negreanu is not playing perfect poker. There is always room for improvement and if you don't see that, you will never improve.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:48 PM

No offense, but after reviewing your other posts, I think at this point in your poker career your game probably has some serious leaks:LINK

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop he raises 500, and i have queen 9 clubs, but i have a good feeling so I call his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good sign.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:02 PM

with players who play like that you have to let them take control of the game you have to showdown a hand against them
against players like this you have to play passively
i know passive play is generally a losing style it works well against this type of opponent
Old 07-14-2005, 08:02 PM

i have afriend like this. A really big guy named austin. He acually got me started in poker, and said how much he sucks but how lucky he is. Hes made several thousand dollars and he sees like 60%ish of his flops and he says in every situation if he thinks he has a 10% chance of winning he calls down reguadless of bet size. I played against him once, and sure enough he saw like 2/3rds of the rivers when he saw the flop, which was probably 75% of the time or more that game. And he only raised once the entire night when he didn't look at his cards.

this cat is a total luck box.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is dumb.