Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Getting Rid Of A Tell

[ QUOTE ]
Or just grow your hair. Admittedly this is just pussying out, since you'll still have the tell. So, playing more until you get used to big hands or even bored with big hands might be the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Growing hair is not an option. I had relatively short hair already, but I shaved it off because I was sick of combing it.

The wierd part is, I know damn well that 20-30% of the time my AA won't hold up, so I don't let myself get excited over it, but I can't control the flustering reaction.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beta Blockers may help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Do people use these to help them with poker. Can't they mess up your concentration sometimes?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 AM

1) You could go the headphones route.

2) You could grab some of your old ladies blush and put it on your lobes so they always have a redish tint.

3) Keep in mind that the guy might be messin with you. I tell people about there tells that don't exsist just to drive them nuts, or to pick up opposite tells. Maybe ask a (friend) player to observe you to see if it's even real.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:38 PM

"2) You could grab some of your old ladies blush and put it on your lobes so they always have a redish tint."

This is the best solution heh
Old 11-30-2005, 02:49 PM

Yes, they are a type of high blood pressure medicine that dampens out, or buffers, your adrenergic surges (fight or flight response). They are very safe and do not affect your mentation. I have used them prior to academic presentations to aleviate stage fright and they work very well, no tranquilization affect. If you have a family MD simply tell him you would like some samples, tell him the truth or tell him they are for stage fright, they are not addictive and he will probably give you some. Propanolol is a common one. If you get a pounding heart, red face or shaky hands when you get a monster they will help. We can't all be like Phil Ivey.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM

try to get red earlobes in every hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing live the other day, and a player pointed out to me that my earlobes turn red whenever I have a huge hand. Any ideas on how to control this?

I do feel myself get flustered times when I flop the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheheh

In my opinion, tells are very psychological (duhhh) but let me explain...

First of all, why do your ears go red? Is it b/c you're happy? Are you excited? Do you get the same reaction when a hot girl nudges you?

Some tells, too, are deceiving simply b/c the person PERCEIVES their hand differently. For example, the board is
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Some amateurs may get excited with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
The player trying to get a read on whether his 7 Q (Q's full of 7's) is up against a better full house. Yet the amateur may be giving a "I got a strong hand" tell, thinking that he's in the money with his flush... So, the full house guy may not raise too much thinking the other guy got K Q and a better full house...

See what I mean? THe only way to get rid of a tell is to somehow psychologically manipulate yourself into thinking that your hand, in the long run of things, is good, but you'll lose some hands in the future, so it's no big deal. I.e. short run wins are nice, but no big deal.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM

By the way your nickname suits you

" <font color="red"> CRIMSON </font> CHALLENGER"

hjahahahahhaha

just messing with ya... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 PM

Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 PM

He could just be messing with you. If not, wear a beanie.

Good luck-