Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: wpt foxwoods

you're right buddy , I misinterpreted it. He has been running v well at the final table, hope that continues today.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 PM

what got him really rolling was when he had KK vs AQ on a board with Queen high agaist a big stack...that is nice.

He played pretty tight as far as I could tell...i he never went after me when i played back at him...in fact i may be the only person to have taken chips from him lol...

He is in great shape against a tough FT and he is gonna do fine.

sheets
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 PM

Nick Schulman eliminates Lyle Berman

Nick Schulman sends Allen Cunningham home

Updated Chip Counts

Place Poker Player Chip Count
1 Nick Schulman $ 6,200,000
2 Tony Licastro $ 1,050,000
3 Bill Gazes $ 650,000

I think Nick is gonna do ok in this one.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:58 PM

This one could turn out to be a really key hand.

Date / Time: 2005-11-18 14:14:00

Hand #25 - Nick Schulman has the button in seat 2, and Berman moves all in for $575,000, and Schulman quickly calls. Now Licastro goes into the tank in the big blind, and he studies the situation for several minutes before folding. Berman shows Ah-Jc, but he's dominated by Schulman's Ac-Kd. Berman needs to improve here to stay alive.

The flop comes Qc-6s-2s, and Berman is in trouble, needing to catch a jack or a runner-runner straight to survive. The turn card is a blank (they didn't show it or announce it), and the river card is a 9. Lyle Berman is eliminated in fifth place, earning $345,000.

1. Nick Schulman - $4,200,000 (seat 2)
2. Tony Licastro - $1,300,000 (seat 3)
3. Allen Cunningham - $1,200,000 (seat 5)
4. Bill Gazes - $850,000 (seat 6)

If Licastro was just showboating, nevermind. But, if he was really thinking, I figure there's a decent chance he had a pair, or maybe AQ. If he decides to go all-in with either of those hands, he wins this hand and has something like a 3.2M to 2.3M chip advantage over Nick w/ a couple of guys within striking range at around 1M. Instead, he folds, and Nick takes a commanding lead, far ahead of the other three.

Will be interesting to find out what Licastro had.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he decides to go all-in with either of those hands, he wins this hand and has something like a 3.2M to 2.3M chip advantage over Nick w/ a couple of guys within striking range at around 1M. Instead, he folds, and Nick takes a commanding lead, far ahead of the other three.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bus.

Why are these what-would-have-been musings so intriguing to you?

Oh, yeah, and CONGRATS NICK!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he decides to go all-in with either of those hands, he wins this hand and has something like a 3.2M to 2.3M chip advantage over Nick w/ a couple of guys within striking range at around 1M. Instead, he folds, and Nick takes a commanding lead, far ahead of the other three.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's just commenting on the rollercoaster nature of these huge poker tournaments that make superstars out of the winners.

oh, and i would have gone with: "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle"
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are they intriguing? Man, tourney poker is one of those things where one card or one good/bad super-close call is often the difference between busting out for $25,000 (or nothing!) and making $2 million!!! How can you not find that interesting? To me, that is pretty much the most interesting part of tourney poker!

Raymer at WSOP against that Kanter guy. Raymer doesn't get sucked out on and he has a solid shot at being repeat WSOP champion. Instead, Raymer is out and Kanter makes a couple mil or whatever. Man, I don't see how you don't find this stuff intriguing!

As for Nick, as a 21yo WPT champion and a successful high-limit cash game player both live and online, I think he is potentially the most marketable person in poker right now (possibly moreso than Raymer/Hachem/etc.).
Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are they intriguing? Man, tourney poker is one of those things where one card or one good/bad super-close call is often the difference between busting out for $25,000 (or nothing!) and making $2 million!!! How can you not find that interesting? To me, that is pretty much the most interesting part of tourney poker!

Raymer at WSOP against that Kanter guy. Raymer doesn't get sucked out on and he has a solid shot at being repeat WSOP champion. Instead, Raymer is out and Kanter makes a couple mil or whatever. Man, I don't see how you don't find this stuff intriguing!

As for Nick, as a 21yo WPT champion and a successful high-limit cash game player both live and online, I think he is potentially the most marketable person in poker right now (possibly moreso than Raymer/Hachem/etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly with all your characterizations. Maybe I just play so many tournaments, that I'm clearly immune to it, and consider the freaky nature of MTTs just par for the course.

I originally read your comment on Nick as "remarkable" rather than "markettable" and though both are quite true, it remains to be seen how agressively Nick will pursue his marketting potential.

To me, the most interesting thing about all of this is that there are scores of kids who, at 21, have access to knowledge and opportunity that I never did at that age--and that was only seven years ago!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i will agree here. i played with nick nearly every day at a live 5/10 NL game in new york for a few months. he is very good and is a cool kid.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one could turn out to be a really key hand.

Date / Time: 2005-11-18 14:14:00

Hand #25 - Nick Schulman has the button in seat 2, and Berman moves all in for $575,000, and Schulman quickly calls. Now Licastro goes into the tank in the big blind, and he studies the situation for several minutes before folding. Berman shows Ah-Jc, but he's dominated by Schulman's Ac-Kd. Berman needs to improve here to stay alive.

The flop comes Qc-6s-2s, and Berman is in trouble, needing to catch a jack or a runner-runner straight to survive. The turn card is a blank (they didn't show it or announce it), and the river card is a 9. Lyle Berman is eliminated in fifth place, earning $345,000.

1. Nick Schulman - $4,200,000 (seat 2)
2. Tony Licastro - $1,300,000 (seat 3)
3. Allen Cunningham - $1,200,000 (seat 5)
4. Bill Gazes - $850,000 (seat 6)

If Licastro was just showboating, nevermind. But, if he was really thinking, I figure there's a decent chance he had a pair, or maybe AQ. If he decides to go all-in with either of those hands, he wins this hand and has something like a 3.2M to 2.3M chip advantage over Nick w/ a couple of guys within striking range at around 1M. Instead, he folds, and Nick takes a commanding lead, far ahead of the other three.

Will be interesting to find out what Licastro had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the audience for this final table right behing the Licastro contingent. After he folded, he came to the rail and told his buddies there he folded TT. That isn't necessarily true, but if it is, what do people think of the fold?

I didn't like Tony's play at all; he seemed to just move in or fold all the time, even when he was not short stacked.

The most baffling hand to me was the KT hand (Gazes opens for 115K, Shulman makes it 400K in the SB, Licastro pushes ~470K with KTo, Gazes pauses a while, then pushes with AA and Shulman instamucks-- flop comes QJ9 and Licastro about triples up). Is this a good play? It seems like he's basically saying "I think you're both full of it and I certainly have the best hand". Neither Gazes nor Shulman were particularly aggressive preflop up until that point (at least at the TV table) so I don't think he had reason to believe they both happened to pick that hand to get out of line.

I suck at tournaments so if this is SOP, just say so.