Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Bankroll Requiremants

I have been playing hold'em for approx four years(I'm turning 23 in July). I'm going back to school in the fall and I would like to at least supplement my income with poker. I have been playing in a very small ($20 buy in)(however, profitable)) NL game at my friend's house. I was just wondering what kind of a bankroll I should be putting together before i go off to school. Obviously, there won't be very many huge games on a college campus. But at the same time, there may be professionally run poker rooms in the vicinity. I would like to stick to NL but I am not opposed to playing limit poker. If anyone could offer any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Just a small warning before you respond. I will more than likely have more questions. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Requiremants

My best suggestion is to learn Limit, however if you want to stick to NL I'd say try to scratch up around a $500 BR and start an account at a reputable online site and play $25 NL to start. Much easier to find games online than live.
Good luck (esp with school),
Matt
Old 04-25-2005, 03:00 PM

Where are you planning on going to college? You sound like you only want to play live games, are you opposed to playing online?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:40 PM

Also, what kind of stakes are you looking at playing??
Old 04-27-2005, 06:18 PM

I am planning on going to school at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, Michigan. I am planning on studying mechanical engineering. I am not opposed to playing limit or online; my only problem with both of those is that I am less experienced with them and I tend to get a little bit crazy (calling people down when I should be folding, playing marginal hands into preflop raises, drawing without odds..etc..). I would eventually like to play a 10 - 20 limit game but my bankroll cant even really support a 3-6 right now. My problem is that when I am at school, I'm not guarateed a job. I need something to keep me afloat until I can find regular employment. Not that I'm planning on quitting my poker game, I just don't want to have to rely on it for an extended period of time. THinking about this has gotten me thinking that there is no such thing as too much bankroll, but how much is too little?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Well I am a real rookie, but I have read about a 1K of post like this and the number for NL is 20 to 30 buyins. There is a very interesting analysis for the bankroll management for no limit holdem at www.betthepot.com. There you will have the mathemathical explanation of why you should have above 20 (around 30) buyins to take the probabilities of going broke to nearly 0. Those numbers are for winning players.

Go there and check out.