Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Dell 2001FP questions

Hey I just got the 2001fp today and since I'm computer illiterate I have a couple questions about it. Everything is hooked up but the one wire with the uhhhh white things at both ends (?) it's a DVI wire or something? Do I need this to be hooked up? I'm thinking this is just for hooking 2 monitors up together, is this correct? I heard alot about video cards here but this is also just for hooking up 2 monitors right? Last one, can I keep switching the resolution without messing up the monitor, like after im done multitabling everyday can I put it back to the regular resolution and browse the internet, or is it best to just leave it at one resolution all the time? Thanks to anyone who answers my dumbass questions. Finally multitabling WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 12-14-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Dell 2001FP questions

Yes, the white cable is a DVI cable. It provides a much better signal so the picture quality would be better if you use that. If you have a video card with a DVI out, you should definitely use it.

The only way to hook up two monitors is to have a video card with two outputs - usually one DVI, one analog. You connect a cable from each monitor to the video card.

Yes you can keep on changing the resolution, but the 1600x1200 on the dell is what I normally use. It is the "regular" (optimal) resolution. I'm guessing you're thinking its too small. Try it out for a while; you'll probably get used to it. Everything is sharper on the max resolution.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:37 PM

DVI and VGA are simply two ways to send the signal to your monitor. If you have the VGA plugged in, you shouldn't plug in the DVI. FFR, the DVI is higher quality.

The only thing that's important to hooking up 2 monitors is the video card.

No, you shouldn't have any adverse affects to changing the res.

Cup
Old 12-14-2004, 04:44 PM

So in order to use the DVI cable all I would need is a video card? I would like to get the maximum value out of this monitor so this sounds like the best way to go. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:48 PM

You definitely have a video card already. All computers that display a picture onto a monitor do. You may or may not have a DVI-out thing on your video card though. I'm not sure if the boost in quality is worth buying a new video card. Maybe others have some input on that.

However, if you're planning on using two monitors, you definitely need either one video card with two outputs, or two video cards (i think) so in that case, you may need to buy a new video card anyway.