Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 AM

Default 25NL/50NL Hand Demos?

http://www.internettexasholdem.com/pokertutor/

The site above contains demos of professional poker players (or so they're called) playing online ring games. The demo goes through their thought processes on the hands they play and is very user frienldy.

Does anyone know of anything similar for smaller stakes NL Holdem, like 25NL, where the game is played much differently? I find watching videos of other's sessions helps me play better.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: 25NL/50NL Hand Demos?

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.internettexasholdem.com/pokertutor/

The site above contains demos of professional poker players (or so they're called) playing online ring games. The demo goes through their thought processes on the hands they play and is very user frienldy.

Does anyone know of anything similar for smaller stakes NL Holdem, like 25NL, where the game is played much differently? I find watching videos of other's sessions helps me play better.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. And I sort of doubt that a similar feature would be all that useful here anyway because limit poker is learned in a somewhat different manner than NL anyway.

In limit, the correct play is more often fairly obvious and will generally be widely agreed-upon by experts. Most of these plays can be learned by simple pattern recognition and some basic math.

In NL, the correct play is most often a function of correct reads on an opponent and how those reads relate to your play and the rest of the table. These plays place a greater premium on inductive reasoning and experience.

I am somewhat over-dramatizing the differences, but consider, for example, that two equally proficient NL pros can often have widely divergent overall play styles and yet both be very successful (think Scotty Nguyen to Dan Harrington). I seriously doubt the same can be said of pro limit players.

These facts make it much more difficult to distill any given NL poker situation (beyond the most obvious) down to the ultimately "correct" answer. Limit poker has far fewer of these sort of "it depends" situations.

Just a guess, but I think this also probably why there is a general dearth of NL hold'em books, and why the ones that are available always seem to cover only the most patently obvious situations.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: 25NL/50NL Hand Demos?

CardRunners

Mostly higher stuff like 5/10, but there's some really good stuff here. Subscription required though.