Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Super System

I want to get the opinion of some of the more experienced players who have read Super System. What do you think of the concepts that are offered in the NL section of the book. I haven't bought it yet, but I have read some of the NL section. It seems that he advocates an extremely aggressive stlye. I'm not sure that this method would work very well in online games especially small NL games. Do you think you would go broke playing that aggressively in such loose games?

I would also like opinions of the book as a whole if you have any.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Super System

I like the book. I tend to follow his aggressive play more so in short handed games. I definitely do not try his tactics online, as against online players, they will call you more often than not. You have to pretty much have the hand. However I do like how he is aggressive when he has outs.

Overall a good read I think, especially the Hold em section.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:26 PM

I think a more appropriate book for online play is Ciaffone's Middle Limit Poker.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:55 PM

I think in those loose online games (like 25 or 50 buy in) you'll do lot more better by just waiting for a good hand and then play it aggressively.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:17 PM

Crockpot's website has good ideas for online poker. I don't remember it, but you can look at something he's posted, he has it as part of his signature I think. Or maybe someone will post it.

The general strategy outlined is targeted against timid players that can be pushed off hands. However, the book does point out (and this is a point that is often missed) that against poor players he does not play according to his normal style. He says against such (and these are the type you'll usually encounter on-line) you must show them a hand. He advocates never bluffing against such.

So if you read everything he writes carefully, then yes, the book will help you. But if you read it uncarefully it could hurt instead of help.

I would recommend the whole book highly. To play NLHE well you want to be a good poker player, and there's a lot in the book that teaches good poker.

I agree with the other poster who recommended the Ciaffone book as the most helpful specifically for no limit play.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 PM

I think it is a very good read, and even for the lower limits. while he does advocate a very aggresive style, many of the concepts he talks about are not dependent on using exactly this style.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:17 AM

Crockpot's site
Old 03-06-2004, 01:19 AM

I think an even more appropriate book would be Ciaffone and Reuben's Pot & No Limit Poker since it is No Limit we're talking about.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:09 AM

A lot of people give Super System qualified praise, they say "read it, but be careful with it." I don't think people give it enough credit, Brunson's NLHE section is GREAT, it has so much awesome stuff in there it's priceless, vastly superior to Reuben and Ciaffone's book.

danny