Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Do you suck at tournament poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I have the opposite problem, at least in live play. What are some of your strengths in cash games that don't carry so well into STTs and MTTs?

[/ QUOTE ]

- not a skill here, but the general community is much more down to earth in live play... games with people sitting around the table talking about life and such... you don't find that as much in tournaments...

-Skills for me that don't translate well:
I guess it's more about the ones from tournaments that don't translate the other direction. You need to be able to take into account stack sizes and increasing blinds, pay out structure etc. when you are making decisions... I guess I'm a little more lazy than some of your top tournament pros? Hell I don't know.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:08 AM

In "ace on the river" an interesting point was made that on the fame and fortune spectrum people who prefer fortune are better and more focused at ring games. People who are more fame seekers tend to do better in tourneyments. Its hard to stay focused on things you dont care about.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:33 PM

Why don't you just play your normal cash games alongside the tournament? Just leave the cash games if you get near the money.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:54 PM

In tournaments, you generally have less room to get "creative". There usually is a correct play and very little room after that point. The exception is any tournament with deep stacks. However, most online tournaments are usually in the "all in on the flop" mode after the first hour.

I used to do quite well in tournaments, but since I have switched to NL cash games with a LAG style, I have a much harder time in tournaments. I usually accumulate chips early, then either get too creative and lose them quickly when the blinds rise, or I run into my one unlucky hand that costs me my stack.

Then again, I tend to suck at limit for the same reasons.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:49 AM

The only time I feel truly alive as a poker player is when I'm in a tournament. In fact, when I bust out of a tournament, the disappointment (especially in B&M tounaments) is often not I failed to cash, or make the final table, or what not ... it's that I'm not playing any more.

Even though I am a consistent winner in ring games at B&Ms, I don't get the same charge from cash games.

Tournaments may just not fit our personality type, but maybe if you read some of the great books on tournaments (Sklansky and Harrington, for example), it would give you the necessary paradigm shift to appreciate tournament play.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:59 AM

SNGs are a great way to wean yourself into tourney poker. I f'in love SNGs.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 PM

Why not just stick to cash games? I stopped playing tournaments and went to cash games and I'm making money much more consistantly. Oddly enough, I was bored of cash games today and played a MTT just for something different and I won.

Are you an online player? Because if you like to play live and if you are from Miami as am I, real cash games can be hard to come by, but tournaments are around.

But if you play online, stick to what works for you. If you aren't making money in tournaments and find them boring, why play them?