Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 04:48 AM

Default roll call! whos a fish?

at this point i would still call myself a huge fish, but im learning(thanks to some of you, especially strassa, tosh, and microbob) but i would still say im a fish. I wanna know a) if YOU still think youre a fish. and b) if youre not, how long did it take before you came to consider yourself better?

I have been playing seriously for about 8 months now and am beginning to understand many of the more advanced aspects of the game. Yet i am still having the most trouble with my own emotions. i tend to have a hard time getting over slumps and will let if effect my play, this is why i would say im still a fish, gotta keep working at it i guess.

rj
Old 08-12-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Re: roll call! whos a fish?

I am still a fish at Stud games.

I'm intermediate at Omaha games.

I'm advanced at LHE and almost expert at NLHE.

I would go as far as to claim I am expert in NLHE tourneys.

I played live poker every day for 8-9 years before discovering the internet, and the mix of new people to chat with combined with being fortunate enough to be taught by one of the then best players in the country meant it took me around one year before I would consider myself advanced.

The only formats I played for nearly all of this time were 95% PLHE tourneys and 5% PLO ring games.

I have broken many things, even since I started playing online, but my emotions, although still there, no longer factor into my play.
This is because, especially online, it is easy with practise to just turn off the site and go and do something else for a few minutes until I've calmed down.

The first step is not controlling your emotions, but controlling when you play whilst emotional.
After that you will find you get more stable more quickly.
Sit and Go tourneys are good for this as you get a specific start and stop point so it is easier to walk away for a few minutes at the end of one.

If you multi table, cutting down the number of tables to just one while you are learning will lower the emotion and raise your learning speed.

If you were looking for a bite, then I bit, but I answered honestly.

Lori
Old 08-12-2004, 10:08 AM

Default I\'m a fish

I've only played online poker for about 2 1/2 months. 90% of my profit is bonus money. I'd like to find a game I really can get good at - I haven't found it yet. I've "dabbled" in limit HE ring games (mostly .5/1 and 1/2 to clear bonuses) and SNGs. Yesterday I tried PLO at the .01/.02 level at UB - and I had an embarrassing hand where I forgot the "only two holes cards and three from the community counts" rule - but I still made 48 cents on the night (woo-hoo).

To summarize - I'm still a fish - and I don't know when that'll change.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:17 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Lori, what you are is called a "rock", not an expert.

Sorry to be the carrier of the bad news [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2004, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't have thought a LAG like yourself would be able to judge [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM

Loose agressive?

You see, we all need somebody else's point of view.
Now we both stand corrected about what we thought we were [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I hope the word spreads soon about my new image [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nice to have you back btw, we needed an imput of grey cells [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

William
Old 08-12-2004, 10:31 AM

Thanks William, it's been nice to see some friendly faces, I kind of feared the worst when I heard various rumours.

Lori
Old 08-12-2004, 10:35 AM

Yes, there was a stormy period, but things look better now, we're all friends again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2004, 03:06 PM

When your running bad just go up a few limits (ones you can't afford), you'll be sure to get it back!!!!

Seriously, we all run bad no matter how good you are, some days you just can't win no matter what site you play at. The trick is to reconize those days and not play. I used to be a fish when I first started out as all people. I feel that it is most important to learn from experience and your mistakes to become a profitable player. I lost 2k in my first 30 days, read 3 books and now I win 90% of the time.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:37 PM

I'm a fish, but mostly because I let other things get in the way of my poker study.

Anyways, bye for now.

J