Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Compare the rake to gasoline prices....

Im my town, gas is about $2.03 a gallon. There are 50 different stations and the prices vary by less then .03 If you drive a few exits up the interstate, you can find it a $1.90/gal. In other states, I hear of it as low as $1.70/gal. So, if selling gas is still profitable at $1.90, wtf happened to the competion in my area?

Why arent the gasoline prices driven down by competition within each region. Why does every cardroom whether they have a 100 players or a hundred thousand still charge the same rake?

I think its a little bit of an implied price fixing. No one wants to lower the rake now because once they do, there will be no turning back.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Compare the rake to gasoline prices.... *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky
Old 07-04-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: the rake in poker

[ QUOTE ]
You cannot measure supply vs demand when the customer is unaware and clueless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you can. The customer doesn't have to know all (or any) of the alternative prices to be able to decide whether he finds one particular price worthwhile. Once a competetor makes his lower price more widely known, it could have an impact on demand, but the principles still apply.

It's a fairly open market, so there is little to regulate Party's rake except their motivation to make a profit. Their overhead cost is irrelevant, so there's not much hope for arguing for a "fair" rake.

That said, I hear Absolute might relocate to Cuba where their rake will be only high enough to cover food and housing costs.

-2kF
Old 07-04-2004, 05:55 PM

You can buy DVD's at Best Buy for $20 or you can get them for $9 at Columbia House. You get that price because you agree to buy at least 7 DVD's. It's a matter of knowing what your options are. Not a lot of people realize how much better deal they can get at Columbia House.

However, It shouldnt be too hard to get the word out to the poker community. Once a site with no rake is the biggest cardroom, everyone will go there if for just taht simple reason alone.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I wouldn't have taken it as insulting if it didn't come from one of the better players in the world? My brother is a national champ kickboxer, he doesn't punch me in the face every time I walk by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... My.. God.. I almost pissed myself when I heart that. Something about Punching IN THE FACE is funny. In the Face...

Oh I crack myself up.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Compare the rake to gasoline prices....

well, that went right over your head
Old 07-04-2004, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a follow up coming? If not thanks for the rake for beginers lesson. Can you explain the small and big blind to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, very funny and very true. I myself have already posted here twice while staying out of the debate up until this point.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:20 PM

Default facts

Fact: partypoker's rake is too high
Fact: people play there anyway
Fact: people(including myself) will continue to play there, regardless

I play low limits so a big percentage of my pots go to the rake. I only continue to play party because of the players. If any site(rake free or not) can even compare with the quality of low limit players at party, I would switch. But I'm not going to sit at a game with a bunch of rocks just because of the lower rake.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:40 PM

"Is there a follow up coming? If not thanks for the rake for beginers lesson. Can you explain the small and big blind to me?"

There sure seem to be a lot more mouthy posters on 2+2 these days than there used to be.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: facts

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: people(including myself) will continue to play there, regardless

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If any site(rake free or not) can even compare with the quality of low limit players at party, I would switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to "regardless"?