Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push or Fold
Pooosh its off 5 31.25%
Fold 10 62.50%
not sure 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Real life moral dilemna

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no matter how dumb the law can be some time, no cop or judge is going to lock you up for calling them and reporting what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right that if all the facts were known you may be able to escape legal punishment, but what's to stop the girl from lying? If she doesn't tell 100% truth and back up your story then there is 0% chance you will escape unscathed.

Also for the purposes of this poll let's pretend there's not an anonymous way of alerting some authority or friend/family of the predicament.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:25 AM

I haven't read this whole thread - but, if this girl is crazy enough to have you charged and arrested for helping her out, what's to stop her from doing it even if you don't help? That is, if her end goal is not to kill herself, but instead to get you in trouble, you've supposedly already done enough by answering her call.

I voted yes. Either help her yourself if you want the extra risk, or call the police to help her.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:04 AM

Some dilemma.
Hang up and go make a sandwich.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM

I don't view this as a moral dilemma at all. It would be nice of him to try save her, but I don't see that he has any moral obligation to do so.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, the man can easily call the police and tell them she called him threatening to kill herself with no real fear of repercussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does this, for the purposes of this discussion, he is guaranteed to be arrested and charged with violating the restraining order.

Like I said, this would not happen everywhere, but would happen in some parts of the US.

Also, to add some flavor, you can assume this would be his 3rd such violation, and as such, a felony.

[/ QUOTE ]A jury of his peers would never convict him.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no matter how dumb the law can be some time, no cop or judge is going to lock you up for calling them and reporting what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right that if all the facts were known you may be able to escape legal punishment, but what's to stop the girl from lying? If she doesn't tell 100% truth and back up your story then there is 0% chance you will escape unscathed.

Also for the purposes of this poll let's pretend there's not an anonymous way of alerting some authority or friend/family of the predicament.

[/ QUOTE ]Phone records will reveal who made the initial call.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:08 PM

Really? What if they heard this:

"The defendant approached her earlier in the day, she called to warn him away, then he called the police and falsely submitted that she was threatening to commit suicide"
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I said yes because there might be some manic crazy sex for going over. Crazy girl sex is worth the risk, and it's not even close. Those who know what I mean know what I mean.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:17 PM

If she in fact kill herself you could be charged for not helping a person in danger. I too agree that you're pushing the limit of truth saying in some juridiction you would be charged.

Also there are different way to break a restraining order, e.g. talking isn't as bad as visiting, her calling you isn't as bad as you calling her etc. He would probably be off with a warning and not serious charge.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? What if they heard this:

"The defendant approached her earlier in the day, she called to warn him away, then he called the police and falsely submitted that she was threatening to commit suicide"

[/ QUOTE ]"She called to warn him away" does not pass the credibility test. If she was concerned, she would have called the police, not the person she was afraid of.