Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Playing KQ pre-flop

Just like in limit it doesn't really matter.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Raising to 5xbb utg or utg +1 often buys u the button in 6 max.

Looking to play a small pot with a particular hand is not the way to approach the game. Look to play well post flop; read hands; make good decisions.

If a tighty calls behind me and the flop comes k high, I'll probably play a small pot BUT the chances of u being dominated aren't that high. Anybody no the % of this? I forget?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Looking to play a small pot with a particular hand is not the way to approach the game. Look to play well post flop; read hands; make good decisions.

If a tighty calls behind me and the flop comes k high, I'll probably play a small pot BUT the chances of u being dominated aren't that high. Anybody no the % of this? I forget?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I find that raising here UTG DOESNT buy you the blind, and then you are OOP, miss most flops, fire a continuation bet, get called, and lose.

Id much rather play this hand in position, or limp, hit and then play the hand hard.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:45 PM

??? doesn't buy u the blind so u are oop? Are we playing the same game?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM

from another thread: limon on play from the button re: kq

well what i meant is the button affords you the opprtunity to win 2 ways hit or steal. when you limp you have to hit and when you limp w/ something like 45s you often hit UNDER someone else which is awful. when you limp w/ kqs you often hit on top of someone else which is good. remember when a pot is limped everyone is drawing to hit the nuts and often times someone does, so why limp to a loser?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I find that raising here UTG DOESNT buy you the blind, and then you are OOP, miss most flops, fire a continuation bet, get called, and lose.

Id much rather play this hand in position, or limp, hit and then play the hand hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deciding to limp or raise KQ UTG really depends on table conditions and your table image.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Interesting thread. My 2 cents is KQ is an example of a hand that has to be viewed in relation to post-flop skill. A horrible post-flop player should probably limp it till CO or the button before considering raising it. As post flop skill increases (and table conditions allow) this hand can be played successfully from any position. One of the keys is not falling in love with a Top Pair hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 PM

only call a raise if yu can put the raiser on a hand and think you can bust him if you hit. limping is ok w/ this hand early because i dont mind seeing a flop with other limpers and i can call a raise often w/ this hand depending on who the raise came from and how deep they are. i will usually raise in position becasue i like 2 ways to win. if the hand is suited i might limp in position because there is a very good chance someone will hit under me and i dont want to get blown out by a limp rr.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM

hmmm--interesting. I'd say if u are only fair postflop then you need to raise or fold this hand utg; utg-1. Limping utg in a family pot when folks are playing any 2 is tough.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmm--interesting. I'd say if u are only fair postflop then you need to raise or fold this hand utg; utg-1. Limping utg in a family pot when folks are playing any 2 is tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but if you are below average post-flop you are really only playing this hand UTG for 2-pr or better value anyway.