Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 PM

Default turned top set vs LRR

abso 5/10, 5 handed. BB in this hand is one of the very few loose passives. UTG I've never seen before, so I just assumed he was a fish. No stats on either of them.

Hero is in SB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG limps, 2 folds, I raise, BB calls, UTG 3 bets, I call and BB call. I only called here so I could C/R a favorable flop.

Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, BB calls and UTG calls.

Flop, I figure I could be behind UTG's possible aces, but odds were good enough he lrr'ed with random crap for me to continue.

Turn is a Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet, 2 calls.

River is an A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, BB folds, UTG raises, I....?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: turned top set vs LRR

Call, you're beat a lot, but bluff raises do happen and I don't like the meta game for being bluffed out here.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 PM

You're that worried about AA? I thought the OP's question was whether or not he should 3-bet.

Folding would be absurd. I expect AA to do something on the flop or turn pretty often. KJ isn't impossible, nor are lots of other weird crap like AK or Ax for that matter. LRR don't mean a ton in my experience unless you have a read on the guy, although I concede AA is one of the more likely hands here.

I defenetely call.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:01 AM

i'd reraise, he most likely has two pair here with Ax. maybe AQ actually.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 AM

"Folding would be absurd. I expect AA to do something on the flop or turn pretty often."

yeah.. not much value in a raise though with most of the aces tied up. just call it.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:13 AM

What the hell, is this really AA that often? Wouldn't AA fight back at least a tiny bit on the flop/turn? If someone c/r me on the flop and I have AA there is no way that I am in call down mode.

True
Old 12-24-2005, 12:56 AM

Yeah, the question was whether to 3 bet or to just call. Fold never crossed my mind.

Only 2 hands beat us, AA and JK. JK makes no sense, and if we concede it's possible he has JK then we also has to concede it's possible he has 28o. So the only hand I'm worried about is exactly AA, which actually fits the way he played.

I personally 3 bet. Was wondering if just calling might have been better.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if we concede it's possible he has JK then we also has to concede it's possible he has 28o.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO there is a very good chance that he's not going to bluff-cap with 28o and will just fold to your 3bet. it's not like he's going bang-your-head-against-the-wall crazy here, and I don't think there's any reason to believe he is going to continue his bluff if you make the very strong move of 3betting here which means 3betting against hands like 28o have no value. we need to find hands with value that will call our 3bet, or come to the conclusion that he is in fact a monkeydick that will continue his bluff with unreasonable hands in order to 3bet here.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:15 AM

KJ is clearly more likely than a junk hand like 28o. Numerous times when I've seen a limp reraise, it's been with classic fish limp hands and they're sick of getting popped. KJo, JTs, QJ, etc.

I personally 3-bet this about every time. Since you're wondering I'm assuming you lost. Whether it was KJ or AA, he played it like a donkey.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 AM

Woops, misread, I thought he only had an overpair and an A hit on the river.

3-bet of course.