Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Really random...anyone ever played at Isle of Capri in Lake Charles?

A buddy and I are going on Friday. I didn't even know they had a cardroom until yesterday when I called them.

Anyone know anything at all about it?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Really random...anyone ever played at Isle of Capri in Lake Charle

I guess Harrah's and Isle reopened after the hurricane. If there is little action, keep driving and head to Coushatta off exit 44. About 20 miles from I-10 once you exit.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:23 AM

Harrah's is still closed. Isle is open though. I've noticed that Harrah's in general isn't in a big rush to open again after the hurricane.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Really random...anyone ever played at Isle of Capri in Lake Charles?

[ QUOTE ]
A buddy and I are going on Friday. I didn't even know they had a cardroom until yesterday when I called them.

Anyone know anything at all about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes ive played there a half dozen times. last time was during hurricane katrina so i havent been there since their area got hit.

they have a large card room for the area. they have about 16 tables and keep 1/2 of them runnning when ive been there. the waits are short or nonexistent. i play limit and the highest they go is 10/20 though. they also play 4/8 i believe.

good atmosphere. drinks come fast since the bar is right there. never had an issue w/ a dealer/floor.

bwana
Old 12-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Really random...anyone ever played at Isle of Capri in Lake Charles?

Harrah's in LC will not re-open for a long time. The Isle is an insane LAGfest with 8-handed preflop caps not that uncommon, even on the 10/20 game. Its a money tree waiting to be plucked if you can stand the swings.

They have NL, 3-6-12, and 10-20 (which I prefer). Good luck!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM

Harrah's said this week that it would be two years before they reopen (if they do).

Doc
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Rake is high. Ain't bad on the action tho, moron city. Last time I was there was before the big poker boom, but the limit games were great, except it was 3-6-12 or 10-20-40 and nothing else. Probably has changed by now. If you're used to vegas you won't be very impressed.

al
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM

I'm going friday as well. What are you playing?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:09 PM

I've been there buncha times, and will probably be there this Saturday/Sunday sometime. They offer 3/6/12 big river bet games which are wild rides.. 8 people seeing a flop, often capping with crap. The implied odds of catching your straight or flush are huge with the 12 bet on the end so you should jam your good draws. They also offer $5/5 $300 NL games which have really taken over.. hard to get a $10/$20 sometimes and $20/$40 has virtually disappeared which sucks.

Still a nice cardroom, well run, newly remodeled, 25 tables, tournaments every day. $5 max rake and $1 bad beat jackpot are kinda steep but what can you do. Get a nice meal comp after you play 4+ hours (and you have an Isle players card).

L8r... BB
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 PM

Coushatta isn't that far once you get to Lake Charles. I would say an additional 30min. Previous reports say the new poker room they built is nice and very much filled with players. I haven't been since they renovated it.

If you do choose to go to Coushatta, whatever you do, don't speed on hwy 165.