Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Default My peace offering to Catholics (in UK)

With the upcoming 400th anniversary of the gunpowder plot coming up, I felt that it would be appropriate to make this post. I come from a predominantly Catholic family, and I have never made a secret of the fact I am not overly fond of them (Catholics in general, not my family). I have to say though that anyone who wants or tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament is okay by me, Guy Fawkes tried and failed, he needs to be applauded for this. In light of this I would like to propose a toast........to near misses and good ideas gone bad, hear, hear. [/humour]

Regards Mack
Old 11-02-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: My peace offering to Catholics (in UK)

OK,

Im in to blow almost anything in the UK up if any other Irish Catholics want to join.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the upcoming 400th anniversary of the gunpowder plot coming up, I felt that it would be appropriate to make this post. I come from a predominantly Catholic family, and I have never made a secret of the fact I am not overly fond of them (Catholics in general, not my family). I have to say though that anyone who wants or tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament is okay by me, Guy Fawkes tried and failed, he needs to be applauded for this. In light of this I would like to propose a toast........to near misses and good ideas gone bad, hear, hear. [/humour]

Regards Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Good timing! This post if reposted in a few months hence (or however long the new anti-terrorism measures take to come into law) could land you in jail (I take it you are a UK resident). Welcome to the new Britain!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Surely he's guilty of fomenting sedition now under your current laws. After HM signs the warrant, his head on a spike on the tower will serve as a warning to others who would be so bold.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely he's guilty of fomenting sedition now under your current laws. After HM signs the warrant, his head on a spike on the tower will serve as a warning to others who would be so bold.

[/ QUOTE ]

To say one would join a future plot may or not be illegal at the moment (ie I don't know as I am not a lawyer). It is because there are these grey areas that the UK government wants to make "glorifying terrorism" a criminal offence. So it is not the offer to join a future plot that will become illegal, In was referring him to glorifying the 400 year old terrorist plot. Crazy as it seems it will be illegal (as I understand it ) to glorify a 400 year old event but maybe not to offer one services for a future plot!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Indeed, if the currently proposed anti-terror laws get through parliment, you could be held without charge for a three month period for this post.

This is in spite of the fact that there is not one single case of the UK police being forced to release someone after the current 14 day period and the suspect then going off and commiting a terror attack. What a wonderful government we have.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha you wish.

Mack
Old 11-02-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To say one would join a future plot may or not be illegal at the moment (ie I don't know as I am not a lawyer). It is because there are these grey areas that the UK government wants to make "glorifying terrorism" a criminal offence. So it is not the offer to join a future plot that will become illegal, In was referring him to glorifying the 400 year old terrorist plot. Crazy as it seems it will be illegal (as I understand it ) to glorify a 400 year old event but maybe not to offer one services for a future plot!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, although it is unlikely charges would be brought, that is why I find these laws so repulsive.

Mack
Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, if the currently proposed anti-terror laws get through parliment, you could be held without charge for a three month period for this post.

This is in spite of the fact that there is not one single case of the UK police being forced to release someone after the current 14 day period and the suspect then going off and commiting a terror attack. What a wonderful government we have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye. Some scary stuff on the immediate horizon.

Mack
Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, although it is unlikely charges would be brought, that is why I find these laws so repulsive.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't believe it. A guy shouted "rubbish" at the labour conference in the uk the other month. He was bundled out and arrested iunder the recent anti-terrorist legislation. If the law is there and the police want to get you they will use whatever law is available.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4292918.stm

And the new ones will be used...they must have in mind who they want to use the laws against...muslim clerics for one.