Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Tricky bubble hand

My bad, I misunderstood your intentions... Like a min raise? I sometimes do that if i thought button and SB would get out of the way. But with him likely to call it puts him in an easy spot to steal post flop. However, it also allows you to get away if button or sb goes over the top. I still think a push is better though.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 PM

Very solid push.

As far as bubble mechanics go, shorty's not short enough to pass up this spot and he's in the BB so you have a good shot at getting all his chips and making ITM at the same time, and he's the last one you want getting a walk.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:25 PM

Very good hand to post.

First off, this is a very +EV push. I think you're being close to 10bb's ought to enter into your thought process. I'm torn.

I think raising is not a very good option unless you expect everyone to fold to a raise. I don't think 77 is a hand I would want to be playing post flop at this stage of a game. Notice I used the work "think" cause I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Could you explain a bit your thought process if you were to raise this?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm not dropping trou and bending over in front of SB. IOW, nothing short of AI.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you explain a bit your thought process if you were to raise this?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the caveat that I'm not anywhere near certain that I'm correct, this was my thought process:

1) If I do anything other than push, it is only because the bigstack SB was uber loose. Otherwise, it is an insta-push.

2) Under no circumstances is BB getting a walk. So folding is OUT.

3) If I mini-raise to 550 (as I did), SB pushes, and BB folds, I can fold and still have a chip advantage of 1305-550 over shorty. (1105-450 after posting the next hand).

4) I try to take into account the type of opponents that I'm up against. At a 22 in general and against this bigstack in particular, my fear is not that he will push with air to my less than AI raise. My fear is that he will make some loose a$$ call with a couple broadways if I push. Dream scenario for BB, who can fold ITM.

5) Hence, the raise to 550, call the SB's push.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not dropping trou and bending over in front of SB. IOW, nothing short of AI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my less than AI raise has more to do with the tendencies of typical players on the 22s.

Dumb question, what does IOW stand for?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM

I don't think raising v. pushing really changes BB calling range. The other stacks can interpret your raise as either "I have a hand that can handle the BB let me take care of it" or "I've got too big a hand to push come get some". Unless the big stack is capable of reading it the first way and pushing you off the pot, I don't think the smaller raise has any less FE than the push.

It's read ependant. If you feel confident that these players will re-saise with a smaller range than they call a push and will rarely flat call, raising enough that BB knows your pot committed seems like a reasonable way to minimize your risk.

If you had a few less chips I think you have to push.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:42 PM

i would play it just like you did..u bet enought to make the other 2 fold (if they are just trying to make the money for now) and the bb cant get away from the pot.. honestly i would play this the same way. and like u said if button or sb do get a monster and raise you, you can lay it down and still be in good shape for the money..
Old 12-30-2005, 04:00 PM

pooossshhh! but I have a problem pushing into the big stack [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If you don't want to push into him, you can only push into one person (and he'll get tired of it and take a stand at some point b/c he probably does not want to push into big stack either), assuming it is folded to you.

maybe this is one of those times you fold the probably best hand and let big stack and short stack battle, Meh

I wish I could think like this during a game... b/c during the game I probably push this... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) If I do anything other than push, it is only because the bigstack SB was uber loose. Otherwise, it is an insta-push.

3) If I mini-raise to 550 (as I did), SB pushes, and BB folds, I can fold and still have a chip advantage of 1305-550 over shorty. (1105-450 after posting the next hand).

5) Hence, the raise to 550, call the SB's push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I didn't sleep much last night, so bare with me as this looks contradictory. Before you raise this to t550, are you planning on calling or folding to a SB push?

I can understand why you don't want to open push, cuz button folds and SB calls and knocks you out. So, if SB is involved, you are folding. That makes perfect sense, and honestly SB should be pushing a wide range after your t550.

So, first you say you plan to fold, then you say you call the SB.

Again, tired as hell, but want to follow this.