Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Against extreme LP

BB is EXTREMELY loose-passive. He'll call any raise, and play through any bets and reraises to the river. His range is huge, imo. PAHUD hasn't picked up any reads yet.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.
Here I am thinking he has 2 pair or 8x, given that he check/called the flop, and then 3bet the turn. I'm putting him on J8 or maybe Jx thinking the 3's will hold up for top pair/2pair.
Should I have capped given his extreme looseness, knowing we were going to go to the river?

River: (9.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 11.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

Please let me know if I missed anything else or if there is any confusion.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Against extreme LP

I don't he'd 3 bet you with a Jack. i bet he showed a 3.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 AM

"BB is EXTREMELY loose-passive" - extremely loose players don't usually 3 bet without close to the nuts. I would expect to see this type of player show either 88 or a 3.

After he 3 bets you only have a crying call on the turn and the river UI unless you have some other read on him.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:44 AM

If you're dying to know what he showed, let me know and I can post it here or PM you...

I'll give you a hint...you're both wrong.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 AM

J8.

and capping the turn because you "know you're going to the river" makes no sense. this would mean it would be right to never call on the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 AM

Man, I don't know if I can call that river. Even if I called his turn 3bet on the chance he's a got J8, AJ, or whatever, these all beat you on that river. One time in 11 is pretty optimistic, since any reasonable holding is now ahead of you.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 AM

I can't put him on 83 because he called my raise preflop, and then check/called the flop. Since he called my flop bet, we have to figure that he has something here on this hand. One of the hands we have to think about are a PP, I beat anything except AA, JJ, and 33, but he didn't show any strength preflop or on the flop so we can cancel those out, or safely decide he doesn't have them, especially AA and JJ preflop.

We look for a weaker holding now. Could it be J3? I don't think so because he probably would have either open bet the flop, or check-raised me. Could it be Jx? It could be and so we have to watch for any signs of rising strength that he could possibly have beat me.

The turn brings the 8 and he open bets me (also called a donk? I'm not familiar with that term). Anyways, so now we have to think J8 possibly? Two pair? This hand I beat with KK33 so I am not worried about J8. Could he possibly have J3 now on the turn trying to slowplay? Something tells me no.

So my situation is that I can beat J8 and pretty much up to this point, there is no flush draw, no straight draw...I pretty much have the hand covered. I knew the hand was going to the river after the turn so capping the turn wasn't something I felt was necessary.

Now the river, comes a Jack. Now if he is hold Jx, he beats me. 3x he beats me, 88 he beats me. So much of a range, but the way he played this hand, I'm putting him on J8 so he can't have the flush in this situation.

So I reduce his hand to J8 or Jx and call down because the pot was large and I felt I could have possibly had him beat since he was showing weakness. I would say I felt I had him beat about 35% after the river card came. I would say I felt I had him beat 90% on the turn.

I'm going back through this hand now and putting my random thoughts down. Respond if you choose.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I reduce his hand to J8 or Jx

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say I felt I had him beat about 35% after the river card came.

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements contradict each other.

So all you can beat is a stone cold bluff, really. But even the most passive fish pull some weird bluffs sometimes.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I reduce his hand to J8 or Jx

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say I felt I had him beat about 35% after the river card came.

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements contradict each other.

So all you can beat is a stone cold bluff, really. But even the most passive fish pull some weird bluffs sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was simply stating that I was more confident in my hand on the turn than I was after the Jack on the river. It was a tough situation. My read was right though...