Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Some S+G questions, $200\'s on up and ROI\'s (Pokerstars)

3 months after learning what a flush was I started out playing $5.50 sit and goes with an $11.00 transfer from a friend exactly 1 year ago. I forced myself to play at the same level until I had ten buy ins at the next level before I moved up. 1 year later without a single cash out yet, playing 2-3 a day or so, Im at the $200's. My ROI thru the limits were exactly 55% in the 5's, 55% in the 10's, 87% in the 20's (I have no clue what I was doing there), 8% in the 30's (Should have known after that 87% run), 25% in the 50's, 21% in the 100's. In the 50's, and 100's and now in the 200's Ive had some very streaky runs. Cashing in 7 or 8 of 10..then cashing in maybe 3 of 13 or so. Has this proven to be normal? Do the sit and goes get much more difficult above the 200's? Ive found that most of the people I play with in the 200's are the better players from the 100's, and most of them play the 300's and 500's. Should I expect my ROI in the 300's and 500's dip below 20%? Ive have yet to lose my way back into a lower limit using a 10x buy-in rule, but should I consider 20 or 30 before advancing to the 300's or 500's. Is my ROI currently on par with what is considered good, ok, bad or great? I have played exclusively sit and goes for the past year. Given the same bankroll, do you think Sit and goes or multi table tournaments are more profitable? Which has more variance?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Some S+G questions, $200\'s on up and ROI\'s (Pokerstars)

Unfortunately, you're toast.

There's no chance you'll take this seriously, but you should play the 20's or 30's for 500-1000 SNGs with accurate stats and see what's really up.

If not... then I hope you continue to win.

Irieguy
Old 11-03-2004, 09:35 AM

Your basis for this is not enough play? ROI to low? Not enough experience at the higher levels? The ROI stats are dead on so the accuracy argument is out. You dont need a super large sample size do you, if you can tell that your level of play is on par or superior to your competition.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:10 AM

10 buy ins is not even close to enough - if your beating the $100's then it wouldnt take long to get 30 buy ins before playing the $200 - that or join the many who have rushed

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 11-03-2004, 10:28 PM

Your numbers look as though you haven't played enough to have any confidence in your ROI. You are clearly running very good... which isn't to say you aren't a winner... you just aren't prepared for what's about to happen.

Irieguy
Old 11-03-2004, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you just aren't prepared for what's about to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something from "Zen and the Art of Poker" (not much poker in this book, but a few things to think about):

"Poker rule #29: Expect the worst - Why gamblers are pessimist.

[...] Being a pessimist becomes a positive trait in poker. It allows you to forge ahead cooly. [...] The ability to see the dark side - what can go drastically wrong - and to have this view of things always within easy reach becomes an advantage in poker."

To the original poster: I think Irie is trying to tell you you are much too optimistic with the way you're playing and thinking about the game. I think you better listen to him.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 PM

I didnt mean to sound like I think this is easy. I was basically confirming what I thought after entering this level...I had best prepare alot better than I needed at the limits below the $200's. I will see what goes with this 10x as usual, and if it doesnt work out...Ill back down a notch and build a larger roll. I dont see any point in not giving myself the same shot as I have through the other limits. At the first hiccup, Ill step down and prepare. I have no interest in going broke. On a side note, the $200's dont feel any tougher b/c the players are necessarily so much better than at the $100 level, its just appears to be tougher b/c everyone is at least decent. All the other limits seemed to have a defined skill level b/w the bad and good players. Agree? I wont let a run down to the lower limits break my spirits, I know at some point its going to get very tough or everyone would be playing the 500's. I appreciate the honesty. Also, I have NO poker friend that plays on the same level as I to disuss the game with. If anyone out their is also in need of someone to discuss games with each other let me know. I know this can greatly develop your game. Im dedicated to be a great player and know I could benifit from talking/discussing with someone on or above my skill level.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:57 PM

I will make a stab at reinforcing what a couple of posters have already said.

A bankroll of only 10 buyins is not enough for ANY limit of SnGs. Even if you are a winning player you are going to have runs where you place out of the money 12-15+ tournaments in a row. It WILL happen. It isn't a question of IF it happens, just a matter of when.

The normal recommended minimum BR is 25-30 buyins. A number of posters feel that even that really isn't enough to allow for those runs where things just really don't go your way.

All people are trying to tell you is that you have been running good. No one is saying you aren't a winning player. But whether you are a winning player or not, you are going to have runs where you lose quite a bit more than 10 buy ins.

I wish you well and hope you listen to the advice given. With only 10 buy ins you are walking along a cliff edge blind folded.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will make a stab at reinforcing what a couple of posters have already said.

A bankroll of only 10 buyins is not enough for ANY limit of SnGs. Even if you are a winning player you are going to have runs where you place out of the money 12-15+ tournaments in a row. It WILL happen. It isn't a question of IF it happens, just a matter of when.

The normal recommended minimum BR is 25-30 buyins. A number of posters feel that even that really isn't enough to allow for those runs where things just really don't go your way.

All people are trying to tell you is that you have been running good. No one is saying you aren't a winning player. But whether you are a winning player or not, you are going to have runs where you lose quite a bit more than 10 buy ins.

I wish you well and hope you listen to the advice given. With only 10 buy ins you are walking along a cliff edge blind folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Excellent!

Fish,
I am sure my Bankroll is comparable to yours at the very least. I play in the 30's at Party Poker. I have runs where I come in 1-2 in 7 out of 10 tourny's then can not cash in the next 8. PLaying in the 200's makes no sense with only 10 Buy-ins. Play in the 50's if your ROI is good enough it will not take you long to build up and move to appropriate levels.

I have seen a noted 200 SNG player move down lately and actually play in a 30................. HHMMMMMMMM
Old 11-07-2004, 12:53 AM

Onestuck... not to come off wrong, but players that are similar to what you are descrbing yourself as (not neccesarily you) are what make the 100+9's so profitable for many a 2+2er.

Why is this? You jump up probably way too quickly in buy ins, without a proper bankroll, and due to a certain level of skill and a ton of luck, you go up a few buy ins and think you can beat the game.

It is close to inevitable that you will lose the profit and everything else you had. What is worse, is that due to your initial success you think you can beat the game and will reload and try it a few more times (again without the right bankroll).

Moral of the story... jump back down to your correct bankroll size and beat that for a long time until you have the correct bankroll for these larger ones. If you are in fact playing these size games (200-500), your bankroll should be well above 10k... is it?