Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 05:30 PM

Default \"Longhanded\" Hold \'Em Strategy?

Assuming you could solve the logistical issues -- e.g., finding a large enough table -- does anybody have any thoughts on strategy adjustments for playing limit and NL hold 'em with 15-22 players?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: \"Longhanded\" Hold \'Em Strategy?

I'm thinking nut-peddling would probably be a good idea.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you could solve the logistical issues -- e.g., finding a large enough table -- does anybody have any thoughts on strategy adjustments for playing limit and NL hold 'em with 15-22 players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring a book to read while waiting for the next hand?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring a book to read while waiting for the next hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a book to write, if you're the right Matt Ruff.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking nut-peddling would probably be a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only live HE tournament I played was like 80 people on 6 tables and when people started busting they did 13 handed tables all the way to the end. Nut-peddling worked well for me. I must say that it is the worst way to play hold'em that I can think of.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting question. There are too many variables (format, stakes, players seeing the flop, players chasing, pot & implied odds) to give any worthwhile answer. While all hand values would depreciate, what changes the most in these games would be the value of marginal hands, so hands like TPTK and 2 pair could become traps at showdown.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or a book to write, if you're the right Matt Ruff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think looking for tells and trying to simultaneously put 19 people on a range of hands would keep me way too busy to get any writing done...
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A big enough table is easy. A dealer with long enough arms, OTOH ...
Old 11-21-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting question. There are too many variables (format, stakes, players seeing the flop, players chasing, pot & implied odds) to give any worthwhile answer. While all hand values would depreciate, what changes the most in these games would be the value of marginal hands, so hands like TPTK and 2 pair could become traps at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

One specific situation I was wondering about is an ante round during a NL tournament -- say, 100/200 blinds, with a 25 ante. If there are 20 players at a table, the pot starts with 800 chips, offering 4-1 odds, before anyone does anything. First limper increases this to 5-1, second limper makes it 6-1, and so on...

What do you do? With those kind of odds you could theoretically limp with anything, but then you have to worry about the mob still to act behind you. Any attempt to steal is going be very expensive and very risky, unless of course the first 17 players are kind enough to fold to you on the button. And if you are dealt a decent hand, the kind you'd ordinarily raise with preflop...well, what kind of hand *would* you raise preflop with here?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:49 PM

Didn't the Plaza tournament that John Myung won a few years ago had 14 players at the featured table at one point? It was stacked with pros as well.