Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 02:02 PM

Default TPNK makes 2-pair on the turn

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Questions: are the flop bet and call good? Should I have check-called, something else? I was ready to fold to a turn bet, but I made two-pair. It seems like I could have check-raised.

Comments?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: TPNK makes 2-pair on the turn

What kind of player is Button? Does he frequently bet the flop with a draw and then check through the turn, or can he be relied on to usually keep up the aggression? You don't want to give a free card, but it's worth the risk if you think he'll bet a good percentage of the time. Your raise will face the other two with 2 bets cold, and the turn card is unlikely to have helped Mr. Button. If you think that there's a good chance it'll get checked through (say Button's turn aggression stats are minimal compared to his flop aggression... or he really likes to use position to go after a free card), the turn bet is probably a better idea.

The flop bet/call is fine, and I'd probably just call the river raise the way you played it.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:19 PM

Based on what I'd seen so far, I would feel confident in him continuing to bet. In a similar situation with a similar player next time, I try for the check-raise.

The part I was most considered about was my flop bet/call -- I thought it might be too loose with such a bad kicker. I'm glad you agreed with it!

Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:23 PM

UTG+1 Shows: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Button Shows: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

and MHIG.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The part I was most considered about was my flop bet/call -- I thought it might be too loose with such a bad kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be a bit careful with TPNK hands. It can be hard to tell where you stand, and they're sometimes difficult to get away from. If you don't get too carried away and are prepared to drop when the situation warrants it, you should be able to play them profitably.