Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 PM

Default QQ

Could I have done better?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (11.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB
Old 08-19-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: QQ

I guess folks think my play was okay?

What about the play of the other players:

Button shows A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the nut-flush.
BB shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the Jack-high straight

Both hands had mine beat, but I don't know if they should have gone past the flop.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:51 PM

You played this correctly, and so did they. They both had the odds to draw to gutshot straights for 1 bet on the flop, and they both picked up additional outs on the turn. It happens.

Edit: I should add that you shouldn't panic if nobody responds for 42 minutes, especially during lunch hour. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 01:55 PM

Thanks.

It's a slow morning at work here on the west coast [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] -- guess I have too much free time!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:00 PM

Think you played it well. Dont know about the BB staying with that gutshot after the flop. But the button had the backdoor nut flush plus a gutshot and his ace. So I think he played well.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:02 PM

Hi Jay,

I would have folded the river definitely after the raise and possibly even for the first bet by the BB. In a family pot (especially at PP), players act more predictably at the river because if they bet in early position, they must have a good hand because they WILL be called. The pot is "protected." With both str8 and flushes out there after everyone kept flat calling through, I feel you should fold hands that have reverse implied value and save yourself those extra BBs once people who remained silent throughout the hand start firing. You can bet a hand like QQ with less and less confidence as the hand goes from preflop to river in a big pot. I bet while you were in this hand, you felt a particular "gut" that you were beaten by the river. Am I right? In this case, I try to follow the gut and save the extra bets when I'm fairly sure I'm beat (especially once someone has raised behind my call).
Old 08-19-2004, 06:33 PM

I think you could have folded the river for the last bet. I definately call when bet into by the BB, I worry I'm beat, but people like to bluff the scare cards sometimes. Once its raised after I've called I'm pretty sure I'm behind, and then when the BB calls the raise (which shows he wasnt bluffing, and has to have something worth betting into the PF raiser and the only person showing aggression the whole way) I think you can pretty safely fold.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:39 PM

I'm with Alobar. Although it is a good size pot, you are almost always beaten when the big blind wakes up on the river and there is a raise behind you.

If you had been heads up against the big blind, it's an easy call. People like to bluff at the river when scare cards come. But since you couldn't close the action and the button raises, get the hell out of there.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:40 AM

Your play was probably good ... I know it's weak tight, but there may be a case for folding the river raise. But that's teh only place I can see any disagreement.

On the flop, A3s should have raised. 97s should probably have folded.