Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Default $5.5: AJ in EP or MP, limp or not?

Whats your line with this hand? My example hand below isn't much of an example, but this is a hand that I feel is a leak in my game and I want to plug it. Would you limp this or not? Does it depends on if it's suited or not? (I need similar advice on KQ in similar situations).

In the hand below this is villians fifth or sixth hand that he playes in the S&G (out of 20) and his first raise.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

UTG (t1550)
Hero (t1695)
MP2 (t265)
CO (t5315)
Button (t1630)
SB (t3275)
BB (t1270)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t195

Regards,
Fredrik

Ps. Sorry if this i trival. But if it is, it's about time I learn how to handle it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: $5.5: AJ in EP or MP, limp or not?

My brother is learning to play SNG's. He was doing OK at the 10-20 level but nothing like he thought he should be(compared to my results). I went to visit him for a couple days to play some home games and see if I could help him with his SNG play.

I can say without a doubt AJ was the #1 leak in his game. He dumped more chips and lost more tournies with this hand than I could believe. In 800 chip tournies you just don't have the room to manuever with this hand from EP/MP. You are dominated way too often. It costs too many chips to find out where you are even if you are good enough to lay down TPGK. Throw this hand away everytime and add 5% to your ROI.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Throw this hand away everytime and add 5% to your ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a huge exaggeration.

if you are just beginning to play SNGs, i think openfolding AJ preflop in levels 1 and 2 would not be a leak. however, as you continue to play, i think you can turn this into a profitable hand.

to suggest that cutting this hand out of your starting hands in the first two levels will somehow increase your ROI by 5% may be getting your hopes up a bit much though.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:13 PM

I'd throw it away in this position.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 AM

I throw it away in LP lvls 1-3 at least.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:59 AM

To limp/fold is ok. It's certainly not a huge leak. You can also open-raise with it since you are 3 off the button. I would fold with AJo in early position and usually limp with AJs. I play KQ similarly.

A huge leak would be to call a raise behind you, and then assume your hand is good if you hit the board despite a show of strength from the PFR.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:16 AM

Throw this away early from almost any position (limited blind stealing exceptions maybe). AJo is a win little, lose big hand at the early levels; any action you get will more often than not be from players who have you beaten.