Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 07:18 AM

Default getting attacked by a spartan

10/20 HU.

Im in the BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]...Sb has button, we will call him Spartan (No real reads, can and will semibluff, but hasnt really played back at me when its been capped. But he is a little bit of a challenge, hes not passive, but is not laggtastic either.) .

He completes his sb, I RAISE, He 3 BETS, I CAP, he calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8sbs)

I bet, Spartan calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5bbs)

I bet, he raises. (8bbs)

This is a two parter...so I will return later.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: getting attacked by a spartan

This is one of the few spots I think itīs ok to C/C both the Turn and River.
His flop call is really scary and you can smell that turn raise coming. So why not get to SD as cheaply as possible and by doing so you might induce bluffs from hands that would fold to a bet on the turn...
Old 10-30-2005, 08:20 AM

yeah my two questions were am I good 4.5:1 of the time, so ~18 percent to call this raise down, with possibly one out (if he has AK) because I would heavily discount any flush draw with my holding and the board ace of the same suit, because hes probably not limp-3betting an QJs of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 55, and hes probably not semi-bluffing a KJ.

So given that I could be behind, is it best to bet/fold the turn or c/c down getting to showdown cheaply?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:34 AM

I'm under the bet/fold camp. QQ/KK are going to want to see showdown and they're not going to raise, and there is no hand range that you can put him on which would in any way make sense for a semibluff. Your reads made no mention of him being a terrible semibluffer, and he has GOT to be expecting to be 3-bet here a fuckton if he does raise the turn on a semibluff. You just represented a very likely strong ace preflop.

If you want to see showdown I can c/c c/c, but I think that's probably missing a bit of value.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 PM

I agree with MoDOH. Once he calls the flop, I'm C/Cing to showdown. Without a read on his LRR habits heads-up, I'm inclined to believe this is more likely a PP than an Ax sort of hand; but not so inclined to risk not seeing a showdown here.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm under the bet/fold camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see folding KK in a HU match.

Check-calling a strong hand every time you get called on a remotely scary flop is a recipe for getting owned HU.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-calling a strong hand every time you get called on a remotely scary flop is a recipe for getting owned HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree generally. But doesn't his LRR (since you haven't seen it from him before) justify being quite a bit more cautious here? I think this turn gets checked through like never, and gets raised very, very often (sometimes folded, sometimes called). I'm going to be content getting in one bet per street in this instance.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, obviously...but poker is situational so u are not going to be owned by check/calling in select situations.

The LRR preflop, hes either doing it with a PP or high face cards unless hes trying to mix his play up with some suited connectors. He raises the turn, are we good 18 percent to call down here? You have to hope hes semibluffing with QQ, low FD, KJ, QJs of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]..etc.

(some of this thinking maybe meh due to preflop cap and pot being slightly larger than normal) Before the turn raise I do have a super strong hand HU, so on the turn, is he going to call me down with a range of PPs, or QQ etc if I bet the turn? He knows how to fold so I imagine he might call me down with QQ, TT maybe even 99. If I check the turn he could bet many hands he may fold while if i bet...he will fold some hands he would bet and raise hands that probably have me beat.

True its HU, you have KK, his LRR is a little odd, but are u good 18 percent to call two bets to showdown?