Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Re: A homeless nut.....

[ QUOTE ]
He seemed like a cool guy from reading his book. Apparently not.

[/ QUOTE ]

We saw about 20 minutes are so of highlights of Powers act. Perhaps being at his table for a few hours would make you "uncool" to.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:34 AM

I like playing with people who are having fun. I don't like tight-a** nits who get mad everytime someone has a laugh or gambles it up a little bit. Powers was fun to watch and you could tell he appreciated where he was. In my opinion the other guy was out of line to make the "disrespecting the game" comment.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:41 AM

Mcmanus was just trying to fit in with the pros at the table and thought he would get support with his comments. You could tell he was dissapointed when they totally disagreed. Great writer though.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:44 AM

its disrespectful to make a legal move, lol
Old 08-11-2004, 05:56 AM

I doubt everyone would have been so cheery if it was NL and Powers was giving people bad beats....
Limit takes out alot of the fear involving a maniac player
Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 AM

If you haven't played poker with a guy exactly like this Powers guy, you haven't put in your time in poker.

McManus made a huge mistake "calling him out" about "disrespecting the game," not because he was wrong, but because it drove Powers' play further into the style that McManus would have trouble with. It also made McManus look even nittier than he already did, which certainly couldn't help.

Lastly, the emotional reaction McManus had both to Powers AND to the negative reaction of a table full of pros at a WSOP final table really didn't help at all. You could see he was tilting on several fronts.

If you cannot laugh at these guys and dismiss them until they self-destruct, you might find yourself negatively effected by someone whose chips you really ought to have in front of you.

Sorry if this response isn't as "fun" as some of the others, but we're talking about a bracelet at stake. I thought that might merit a little actual analysis.

Maybe that's a little nitty in its own right.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:59 AM

I've read some articles by him, but not the book. A couple of years ago I was watching a final table at the WSOP. He sat down with the press guys. The guy next to me, a complete stranger, tells me something like "that's Jim McManus. He's an a-hole". He didn't go into why, but I guess it was confirmed last night. Very self-important.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:27 AM

Jim McManus LOVES poker. Not neccessarily the money, the math, nor the players, but he LOVES poker. He loves the history, the place you put yourself and the idea behind the game when you sit down, etc. It shows in his book as well as his articles.

People like Ellix Powers love the money. There isn't anything neccessarily wrong with either option, but its understandable for someone who is there for the sport of it to get peeved at an obnoxious deadbeat.

McManus was wrong about him disrespecting the sport, but the guy was definitely an [censored], and I can only imagine how much of that he had to put up with at that table and before. It was a mistake on McManus's part as well to let it put him on tilt.

He's an Irish author, not the most soft spoken personalities around. At the end, you could tell he was over it, and once the game was over, Ellix even seemed to be gracious about the game, and was a good "winner." McManus also graciously accepted his defeat and went out respectably.

The "bitch" though, is a whole new level. Total trash, and about as camera hungry and obnoxious as one could get.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM

aparently he used to be homeless, according to the announcers.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:39 PM

I don't think that Ellix loves the money, I think he loves the play. If he loved the money, he wouldn't be getting up in the middle of the game and making phone calls.

I am sure he would have pissed me off too, but at thta level of play - you gotta be able to deal with anything.