Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Sports betting = free money?

making money betting sports is tough work. not only do you need to know intricate details of the sport you are betting, but you also need to know the betting details. there is no free lunch.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 AM

I really like Jim Fiest. He's a Las Vegas sports handicapper, and I've played poker against him and picked his brain - he's been there for maybe 20 years - but I still wouldn't take advice from him on specific games.

I've been betting sports since 1984 (when the Tigers made me a ton of money by winning about 35 of their first 40 games) and I can honestly say that I almost never have a losing season in any sport - but it's because I put a lot of time and effort into it. You can not get reliable information that will make you a winner at sports betting by taking "free" advice on the internet.

FWIW, my best advice is just don't ever bet sports unless you are really going to learn a sport, and love it, win or lose.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 AM

"but winning cappers still only hit about 55% winners"

Americans forget there are other sports out there lol.

"so if you are betting say $100 a game in the long run your profit will be $5 to $7 a game, which makes it not nearly as profitable as poker."

55% with bonuses, free points, low vig etc. $100 units, well you just need a decent BR.

"making money betting sports is tough work. not only do you need to know intricate details of the sport you are betting, but you also need to know the betting details. there is no free lunch. "

Tough work if your handicapping yourself. Profiting off sports is actually quite easy. You just need decent capital.

You won't find many profitable cappers giving free picks at all. There are a decent number of honest&profitable services out there though if you look hard & get lucky. Thank god there are so many scamdicappers out there.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 AM

but winning cappers still only hit about 55%

55% is probably upper win % of many good handicappers.

sports is tough. even for a schmuck like me who just follows the advice of others.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:52 PM

"55% is probably upper win % of many good handicappers."

FWIW a resourceful sportsbettor could easily outperform the stock market if he had a few sources of breakeven picks.